Author Topic: did the dads go  (Read 789 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
did the dads go
« on: Saturday 08 December 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I am just sitting here typing up one baptism after another... for one particular family .. think I am on the eighth  and wondered how many of these fathers were actually in attendance at the Baptism...

or did they just send the wife and kids along...

???

just a passing thought  ---

xin

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: did the dads go
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Depends on time and place, of course, but most vicars will require the presence of both parents on the day and for a required number of weeks beforehand. If mum turned up on her own, I would think that "tongues would wag". 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I would have thought that a family who had each child baptized, would either do it as a religious obligation, in which case the whole family would attend and take it seriously; or as a social obligation, in which case the whole family would attend and take it seriously. 

Also, perhaps depending on the denomination and period, the christening would be a public part of the regular Sunday service which the family would attend regularly.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
The Dads did go to baptisms
Baptisms took place so soon after births that in lots of cases, the father brought the baby.
The new mother did not always attend.
My baptism was on at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon. My mother and older siblings did not attend. My father and Godparents attended a Hurling Match afterwards. I was only a few days old. My God mother told me about the Match. Some of the other babies had both parents in attendance.
Ceremony was performed by Hospital Chaplain. My mother who had four children did not attend any her children's baptisms.
Jfch

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all

Interesting  thoughts on this..

xin