Author Topic: Mother's Maiden Name pre-1912  (Read 2897 times)

Offline MongoUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mother's Maiden Name pre-1912
« on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Evening all,

I've just received the pdf of my gg grandfathers birth registration from 1869.

Curiously, it has his mothers surname and her maiden name, although I thought this was only from 1912.

I wondered whether this was either abnormal, an occaisional thing that crops up, or if it has been transcribed from parish documents and they have done some investigation?

Thanks

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mother's Maiden Name pre-1912
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
It's always been on the certs. but not in the register at GRO although now they have put the MMN on all but illegitimate births. They have also put the age of death on all the early deaths.

It's a free site as long as you are registered and if you've got a PDF file from them you already have so here's the link

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
GEDmatch M157477

Offline jojochip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,hope this is helpful.I have been doing Findmypast for 8yrs now.And in the beginning the surname was only put on for the mother after 1912.However I can now trace back my maternal grandmothers surname way back into the 1850,s.so it it really good to see my past family coming to light.

Offline MongoUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Ahh ok, I never realised that they were there all along.

Thanks!

Congrats Jojochip! I've been studying about the same amount of time on and off. Back to about 1747 for our side. Good luck!

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I've no idea what the reference to FindMyPast means, but the thing about 1912 is this.

Every 3 months the General Register Office (England and Wales) collected copies of all the registers from every registration office.  They then (manually - no computers then!) created an alphabetical index of all the births, all the marriages, all the deaths registered in that quarter.

From 1912 they started including MMN among the details included in the index for births. This made tracing a specific person's birth a little easier.  Other changes were spouse's surname for marriages, and age for deaths.

But those were changes to the indexing procedure.  The actual registers always contained all that information.

So if you look up an event on FreeBMD, you will get those extra details only from the dates when they were included in the index, since FreeBMD is a transcription of the original quarterly indices.  FindMyPast and others use the same data.

The new GRO index has been created from scratch, ie from re-indexing the original registers, and they have included MMN for the whole range of dates that are included in the GRO lookup.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: