Author Topic: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?  (Read 12654 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?
« Reply #108 on: Monday 10 December 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello PharmaT

A person's critical comments are often made out of ignorance.

They haven't always seen or grasped all of the bigger picture you have, nor all of the pieces of evidence you have seen and before you, so far, nor what evidence you intend to see or consider next.

You are leading this Inquiry into your family history PharmaT (not someone else)!

Build a positive inner feeling within you, to say in your mind ...

I'm PharmaT, I've heard comments I consider unfair because of document x or y, or best evidence is and I've been the Senior Investigator into my Family History Hobby for - - years. I have seen these documents to date, I'm really pleased to have discovered them, my next goal to look at is ------

PharmaT you are (not someone else) deciding where your inquiries are going to go next, at your own pace, when convenient and affordable to you.

Take care, Mark

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 10 December 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
One ignorant person on a forum said that I make too many assumptions and should read up more on how to do genealogy properly. I told them that I know a lot, lot more about my family history than you do and if you cannot say anything nice, just keep quiet. I had rows with this person before, but after a slight retort, they backed off a bit.

Another member PM'd me saying to take no notice, and it is not up to others to tell you what to put in your family tree as none of us can actually get 100% "proof".

I think as we all know, jealousy breeds hatred and negativity.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 10 December 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
What is wrong with people?, why can't people just mind their own business and let us do what  we want with our  own family history/ tree
I have over 3000 people so far  in my family tree, I haven't published it anywhere and I don't intend to, it is for my own pleasure and my family but if anyone connects with me I will help them but they also  have to give some impute, I won't give over everthing  to anyone, I did when I first started this lark years ago and I regretted it immediately,  if anyone criticizes my efforts it is their problem, not mine
Let's continue to help fellow Rootchatters happily
Happy hunting

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 10 December 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
What is wrong with people?, why can't people just mind their own business and let us do what  we want with our  own family history/ tree
I have over 3000 people so far  in my family tree, I haven't published it anywhere and I don't intend to, it is for my own pleasure and my family but if anyone connects with me I will help them but they also  have to give some impute, I won't give over everthing  to anyone, I did when I first started this lark years ago and I regretted it immediately,  if anyone criticizes my efforts it is their problem, not mine
Let's continue to help fellow Rootchatters happily
Happy hunting

Louisa Maud

Well said Louisa - I couldn't agree with you more.... in the end it's up to each of us as individuals to construct our trees, do our research as we see fit and really it's not up to others to cast aspersion!

RC is great for help as there are always people who have more experience in knowing how to sometimes find that elusive record and we all help one another out which after all what this web site is for!

Like you early one in my research I was more than happy to give information to those who contacted me, once I'd established there was indeed a connection, but I soon learnt that it was often one way traffic and my records were just being pilfered willy nilly and I'd paid for it all with subs to the well known websites. It's a shame as it is disheartening when this happens as you think you've come across like minded people and they turn out not to be as you thought!

Helping someone discover new information is a joyous thing and I love to share in their happiness..... but there does need to be something coming back too.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Monday 10 December 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Does this all mean that if we help someone when we find out by looking at records we have to prove our findings, in which case it isn't always possible to do so, data protection and all that

If I ask for help on RC I always try to double check what I have been told, same as if I help someone I hope they double check

This certainly is an eye opener as they say

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Monday 10 December 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Pharma T, have you got the message by now?
Who do you believe & trust?
"Them"? - or us Roots lot?
You should have got the message ....

What a pity the person who led you to this hasn't posted why they felt they had to undermine you????
We could have all had a bit of a go at he/she....
-Oh no, blood sports are banned, aren't they?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 10 December 18 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Does this all mean that if we help someone when we find out by looking at records we have to prove our findings, in which case it isn't always possible to do so, data protection and all that

If I ask for help on RC I always try to double check what I have been told, same as if I help someone I hope they double check

This certainly is an eye opener as they say

Louisa Maud

Hi

Once a person has died the Data Protection Act (DPA) no longer applies to a record about a deceased individual. Although there may be limited redactions of names placed on the copy if people still alive are named in the document.

Odd really, because release of information under some Acts (like Health Act), nobody was redacted, unless the same document mentioned a totally unrelated incident, to which the requester had no right.

On that application Health professionals in immediate attendance were named, as they had signed the Report Forms, that my Son of 23 years had just died and the precise location.

Sorry, but on New Years Eve, it will be 5 years.

PhramaT,
Many of us are unlucky and things do happen to us that we feel are unfair, or we had no control over. Sometimes they come one after another and/or hit our confidence and feelings too.

When you lay down tonight to wake up fresher in the morning, please remember you are not alone, times are tough for many and others on Rootschat and elsewhere are feeling this too.

Keep up your good work on your Tree! I think of my Boy every day, I say a little prayer and of course I suddenly cry briefly for a couple of minutes every month or so, but having interests, genuine friends, beliefs and this hobby has also really helped me (despite suffering depression and Atrophy etc). Others are persevering through their life problems too.

Try and look for the good and positive too, when you start looking there is an awful lot of good out there. Look at all the genuine and meaningful comments on all these boards.

Trouble is TV news features mainly on the bad, (okay we need to know to be able to help one another) but we don't need negative TV news on the hour every hour! Because there are so many local people to us in our Communities, even ones here on these Rootschat Boards, who are all unsung heroes in their own way!!

We had a black woman coming round our Council office shaking a tin for a Cancer Charity, I felt I should go to her funeral and it was said she had raised £100,000s for the Charity just shaking that tin, what a great epitaph at the time.

What I'm trying to say is, there are many good people out there and try to keep positive yourself (don't let one or a few people upset you too much, despite it being awfully upsetting at the time, or each time it happens) and also you are definitely not alone!

Look after your Daughter too, top priority that precious one, who one day when older, will want to see what her Mummy set out, or perhaps your Grandchild, (like me) will want to know. I only wish I had Grandma's notes & photos & papers, of what my Grandmother was saying (even if they were Notes someone had made, based on what they were told) of the bits I recall when I was a wee boy.

One of the Quakers surnames she mentioned, was in an ancestor's Yorkshire property registration document that a kind Rootshatter had gone and got some year dates for, thank you - and after having a search of those years, I eventually got all those 6 document copies, the Rootschatter had originally found.

A collection has just appeared in an archive, mentioning several of those chaps connected with my ancestor, so I hope to see that soon. Only deposited 2015, but spanning 100s of years.

Keep your research safe and all of you out there look after yourselves and your nearest and dearest.

(My word, I have waffled), but enjoy the good times!

Take care, Mark

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Monday 10 December 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Mark, I am sorry about your son at such  a young age, it is not in the scheme of things that a anyone of that age should depart from this life, in our family we lost a 22 year old, a 44 year old and a couple in their  50's, I like to think they have gone to a better place and suffer no more, there is nothing wrong with having a few tears, no one can  take away our memories and the love we had for them, having said that an aged relative died last  week aged 98, now this is a celebration of a good Christian woman who always knew she would be  where she wanted  in  the after  life

I will think of you and your son on New Years eve along with another great friend of mine who died on New Years eve

Apart from your sad news you wrote a nice message to Pharma T, I am hoping having slept on it she has had a better day today knowing we all care

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Monday 10 December 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Bless you Mark

lovely thoughtful words xxx

so sorry you lost your son  xxx

xin