Author Topic: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?  (Read 12655 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 08 December 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
"Very experienced" is subjective - and even very experienced researchers can get it wrong.
Does it matter what this person thinks?
Ignore them, or tell them to stop interfering.
Why do you have to justify your research to them?
Of course your tree is correct.
It is family history - and YOUR family history.
It is a hobby.
You enjoy it.
Take no notice of them!

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
"Very experienced" is subjective - and even very experienced researchers can get it wrong.
Does it matter what this person thinks?
Ignore them, or tell them to stop interfering.
Why do you have to justify your research to them?
Of course your tree is correct.
It is family history - and YOUR family history.
It is a hobby.
You enjoy it.
Take no notice of them!

it matters because it represents what the majority of people think of me and I long to belong somewhere yet no I never will.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
TBH I do my tree all by myself, as I have managed to contradict the info a researcher gave for me, when it was someone with the same name in the same area. Lead me up a huge garden path it did when I found the info was wrong. When i told the researcher, they were adamant they were right. But I found documents that confirmed the man she researched died as a young man, before my one married. Since then I have done all my ancestry myself. If I cannot find enough evidence, I certainly leave them in the pipeline as a candidate.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »

Many parish register entries were transcribed from the day book or from notes, or at worst from memory.

Always did wonder how long some of the vicar's notes were kept in his cassock pocket for!  :D

But seriously, the whole point of sourcing things is so that someone else can re-create your reseach, and check it. And, as Sloe Gin said, nearly everything is secondary these days. That wasn't the case when I started researching in the 1970's, we got to handle the originals, as hardly anyone was doing genealogy then.

I'd love to watch your critic trying to get past our archivists to see some of the originals these days!

And if it was necessary to see the originals, I wouldn't be able to do any research these days at all.

And what one person thinks isn't important. What they said says far more about who they are than about who you are.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
it matters because it represents what the majority of people think of me and I long to belong somewhere yet no I never will.
No it's what one person thinks not the majority those interested in family history probably couldn't care how you sourced your tree  only to glad someone else has done the work for them
and from the replies on here not what other family historians think either

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
It sounds a very mean spirited thing to say, I wonder at their motivation.  Jealousy?

I would ignore whoever it is.

Hi pharmaT

Jealousy or perhaps the other individual wants you to cite all your sources and hard work, just so that they can copy it (plagiarism).

It is one of the oldest tricks in the book to criticise, to get someone to give away all their sources!

Because so-called historians who are supposed to know how to do this, simply can't because they are either not bright enough, or can't be bothered to even apply for images themselves and they simply want to freeload off someone else like you who has done all the spade work, on a tight budget!

The cheeky so and so!

You'll probably find all your tree on someone elses, saying they paid a researcher £1,000s in manhours / womanhours for it (who did sweet nothing).

I wouldn't stick your sources on, just names, dates, probably places, with the event name like:- Birth, Marriage or Death.

Put you tree up and let them find/apply for the evidence themselves!

Mark

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
It sounds a very mean spirited thing to say, I wonder at their motivation.  Jealousy?

I would ignore whoever it is.

Hi pharmaT

Jealousy or perhaps the other individual wants you to cite all your sources and hard work, just so that they can copy it (plagiarism).

It is one of the oldest tricks in the book to criticise, to get someone to give away sources!

Because so-called historians who are supposed to know how to do this, simply can't because they are either not bright enough, or can't be bothered to even apply themselves and simply want to freeload off someone else like you who has done all the space work!

You'll probably find all your tree on someone elses, saying they paid a researcher £1,000s in manhours / womanhours for it (who did sweet nothing).

I wouldn't stick your sources on, just names, dates, probably places, with the event name like:- Birth, Marriage & Death.

Put you tree up and let them apply for the evidence themselves!

Mark

The person who said it isn't a relative.  They said it because I made a comment about how many different things one Scottish BDM could provide some evidence for and they replied that they weren't proper evidence I tried to put forward my case why they counted as evidence and the best available in most cases.  Was told I didn't understand, how did I get my degree etc. I've only just manged t stop crying.  Pathetic I know but has really upset me.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I just cannot believe what I am reading on this page..

Sorry Pharma

If I was your Mom.. I may well shake you xxxx in the nicest possible way of course.

Who the heck (however much you feel you need to belong to them) Who the Heck - has the right to make you swing this way!!!!

YOU ARE YOU

YOUR RESULTS ARE YOURS

possibly with errors.. possibly lacking sources..

but - researched from the heart - for your daughter to see  -

DO you feel your daughter loves you ?  or do you feel she thinks little of you......

Believe me I can feel that you KNOW she loves you - and that she would be proud of her Mothers work.

Do I not live in the real world anymore..   Do we have to question and be SHOWN everything.. by some other BEING/BULLY

No Pharma  GET a Chair out and stand on it and SHOUT look at me.. I did this .. its not perfect but I did it to the best of my ability at the time, I am still learning and researching and checking..

then get off the chair and chill

WHO so ever you felt was above you enough to ask an opinion of.. would possibly or may possibly be.....a.n..other re-searcher with better letters after their name than you.. fiddle faddle.... look around you..

NOBODY knows it all and NOBODY is perfect and so many   toooo many TREES on LINE are written up by people who profess to be some kind of genealogical  great brain and there are ERRORS BLINDING errors in those trees.

ooooo I feel better for that   and if you hate me tuff..  you are PHARMA T or whoever you really are and BE PROUD NOW  xxxxxx

xin

and dont bin the research....fgs.....

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
pharmaT

Unless it is your Lecturer / person involved in marking your Thesis, asking for clarification, Take no notice!

A Certified Official Copy of a Certificate or Scan or Image of a document, is primary evidence in my book!

Mark