Author Topic: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?  (Read 12688 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 09 December 18 02:59 GMT (UK) »
PharmaT do NOT repeat NOT bin your work.

YOU have done it to the best of your ability, checked out all the available sources, and created your tree.

It is yours, and your daughters, no one elses.

If the quote " Puffed-up,think-they-know-it-all, supercilious cretins, who seem to want to lord it over everyone" unquote thinks they are better than you, get them to show you their work, with ALL their primary sources. Do they have the actual "primary" sources, or do they have a "copy" of the "primary" source.

If someone said to me the sort of thing they have said to you, I would have told them where to go, and how to get there. Partly that is because I am male, and have over the years been subjected to bullying, but I used that to deal with them.

Ignore them, and let Rootschatters be your sounding board, not  the above mentioned #$%##

AC

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 09 December 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
I can't see that you have given any indication of who has told you this utter nonsense, Pharma, but clearly it's someone who hasn't a clue what they are talking about.  Sounds very much like a bit of advanced mansplaining* going on here!

*Definition:  Mansplaining  is a pejorative term meaning  to comment on or explain something to a woman in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner.  Author Rebecca Solnit ascribes the phenomenon to a combination of "overconfidence and cluelessness". Lily Rothman of The Atlantic defines it as "explaining without regard to the fact that the explainee knows more than the explainer, often done by a man to a woman".  Source: Wikipedia
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 09 December 18 09:09 GMT (UK) »
PharmaT do NOT repeat NOT bin your work.

YOU have done it to the best of your ability, checked out all the available sources, and created your tree.

It is yours, and your daughters, no one elses.

If the quote " Puffed-up,think-they-know-it-all, supercilious cretins, who seem to want to lord it over everyone" unquote thinks they are better than you, get them to show you their work, with ALL their primary sources. Do they have the actual "primary" sources, or do they have a "copy" of the "primary" source.

If someone said to me the sort of thing they have said to you, I would have told them where to go, and how to get there. Partly that is because I am male, and have over the years been subjected to bullying, but I used that to deal with them.

Ignore them, and let Rootschatters be your sounding board, not  the above mentioned #$%##

AC

It was a RCer that said it.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 09 December 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »

It was a RCer that said it.

So you are going to believe one person who you’ve never met, are never likely to meet, who doesn’t know you, has never seen your tree or your work etc?

Just reading through all the replies on here, ask yourself who is wrong, that one RCer or everyone else who manages their tree in the same way that you do? If they posted that on a public board I’m sure they will have been challenged by others. If it was by PM, just block them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 09 December 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Today I have been told I have made an OK start but my tree is worthless as I have "no primary sources" and have never viewed any primary sources.

Did s/he really use the word "worthless"?
What was meant by "an OK start"? 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 09 December 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Today I have been told I have made an OK start but my tree is worthless as I have "no primary sources" and have never viewed any primary sources.

Did s/he really use the word "worthless"?
What was meant by "an OK start"?

An Ok start as in I had clues to know where I could look for proper sources.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 09 December 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
But did they really say your tree was "worthless"?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 09 December 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »
"Very experienced" is subjective - and even very experienced researchers can get it wrong.
Does it matter what this person thinks?
Ignore them, or tell them to stop interfering.
Why do you have to justify your research to them?
Of course your tree is correct.
It is family history - and YOUR family history.
It is a hobby.
You enjoy it.
Take no notice of them!

PERFECT  this is the total ANSWER brilliant Ruskie  (wish I could have found these words)

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 09 December 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear --

So it was a fellow Roots Chatter   --   :-X :-\ 
One of our Caring Clan - One of US - 

So where are they NOW hiding ?!

and how brave of you to write it all on here knowing that they too can read it.

he/she (note no capitals - only for the deserv-ed) 

Needs to throw their side of the arguement in.. and explain --
WHY
one RCer --seemingly - asked for advice or maybe looked to for friendship and something with which to be 'buddies' with Virtually being safer than reality -- 
Did they SAY what they have to you.

Or has it all been blown out of proportion

both sides need seeing on here.

It is so easy to misconstrue a comment  - and especially difficult to build a strong relationship - virtually.

This person could well be ' Supercillious' as has been suggested... OR.... just opened their mouth at the wrong time - with the wrong words.

Stand up and be counted... time

xin

But maybe best left... it could well have been a total error... misunderstanding and however much it hurts Pharma..  it could hurt even more if it is carried on...