Author Topic: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?  (Read 12677 times)

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
In that case should I be throwing out my over 40 years research? No Way! 

I have copies of my parent's death certificates, for example - issued to me at the time of registration.  Would someone challenge that they are not legitimate records? I doubt many of us have had the original record in our hands, it's just not possible.

FS

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
It sounds a very mean spirited thing to say, I wonder at their motivation.  Jealousy?

I would ignore whoever it is.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I don’t understand this. We do our research for ourselves. Unless it is going to be an academic piece of research it is just for our own needs and satisfaction.
If this person is someone who has accessed your tree because they are related, then they can accept or reject your findings. It doesn’t affect you.
Take no notice and block them.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Sounds as if that person whoever it is, is not working in family history but in some other historical field. 

I agree with everyone else, if I have seen an image of a document from the relevant period then as far as I'm concerned that is a primry source.  The only niggle being that the image is a single page, and there's the slight possiblity that the description of the record source on a website (Family Search or whatever) is not accurate.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I have been remiss at citing sources on my online tree, in the last couple of weeks I have started going through and entering source references and cross referencing what information they support with side notes regarding the value of the each source eg when there is some sort of discrepancy.  I have 2 degrees including a post grad research degree (granted not in history) so the fact the questioned how I passed and i feel maybe others have been thinking the same discredint my qualifiactaions, letting down the image of my uni etc.

Was considering writing up my daugter's tree and getting it bound for her 18th and had wavered as  worred about embarrassing her.   I had settled on doing it but now questioning it again.  Been crying tbh.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Sounds as if that person whoever it is, is not working in family history but in some other historical field. 

I agree with everyone else, if I have seen an image of a document from the relevant period then as far as I'm concerned that is a primry source.  The only niggle being that the image is a single page, and there's the slight possiblity that the description of the record source on a website (Family Search or whatever) is not accurate.

I only use the indexes on SP prep work at home.  All images have been checked at NRH on microfiche or at SP centre where I tend to check the pages either side for continuity.  The one time I found an mage which looked out of place I contacted them and they obliged with a rescan.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I asked how to fix it and they said if I can't handle the original physically then I can't.  They suggested ordering a certificate but that will be a transcription created this year, and be created using the image so by that definition would be a tertiary source not to mention prohibitively expensive.

Sounds like maybe they did their research years ago when it was possible to access and handle (some) original records, and either they don't understand how things have changed, or they won't believe that anyone else could be as good as they think they are.

In fact if they suggested you could solve it by ordering a certificate, that just goes to show how ignorant they are.

PharmaT - your posts always show you to be careful and diligent. They give no reason whatsoever to doubt your competence or the validity or value of your research. (And having now seen your later post, having a post grad research degree says a lot about you - they're not just there for the asking.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, pharmaT, but once again you are "whipping yourself"  :'( 

Why are you doubting your research?  You've done it all YOURSELF, and have satisfied yourself that it is all OK. 

Please, please forget this other "person".  If they can do better, then let THEM prove it to you.  You have no need to prove anything to them.  :-*

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Pharma I have my tree on Ancestry sourced using Ancestry  transcripts of Scottish records so all secondary sources I do have the relevant BMD's from SP so is my tree not sourced of course it is I'm not going to upload the images if other people are related or want to ask then fair enough
 I know my tree is hopefully fairly correct using the records that are available or what my ancestors told the officials at the time which I'm sure your tree is as well