Author Topic: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Should I just bin all my reserach and forget about it?
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 08 December 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »

Today I have been told I have made an OK start but my tree is worthless as I have "no primary sources" and have never viewed any primary sources.  I have 100s of BDM records on my tree and a lot of Scottish Census records too.  These have either been viewed via microfiche in the old days and laterlly at Scotland's People's Centre.  I have some newspaper artcles but they are eitehr images from FindMyPast or photocopies from the collection at the Mitchell library.  The 'original' certificates I am lucky to ahve in my posession are effectively trasnscriptions of the original register entry so are also secondary sources.

Feelins so down about my research and questioning whether I should dump it all? I mean if it's rubbish why am I keeping it? Do I destroy it so it doesn't contaminate someone else's research? I mean the actual registers are not available for the public to handle so not as if I can ever fix it and get proper sources. :(

Dear PharmaT, 

I am absolutely certain that there is absolutely nothing wrong about how you have gone about researching your family history.   That other person's research is not your responsibility.  Your research does not contaminate theirs and their research does not contaminate yours.   Primary Sources are reliable, but so too are Secondary Sources and don't let anyone tell you that one is more important than the other.   A secondary source can often provide the context for a primary source, and without context a primary source can be mis-understood and thus mis-interpreted. 

Please go ahead and share your research with your daughter. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Send me a PM to seek my express permission to use any information I post. Wait for my reply, do not take for granted you have any authority to copy paste my words.
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 08 December 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
You're lucky your daughter is interested - mine isn't! Except when my mother gave her the family cook-book, started by my great granny. That fascinated her! Now she wants me to add to it, so that she has 4 generations of recipes in there.

My niece, on the other hand, is interested ....
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 00:10 »
I have been researching for over 18 years now.  A large proportion of my research is in Scotland so I have been to New Register House several time and more recently SP centre at the Mitchell Library because it is less travelling for me.

Over the years I have put a lot of effort into gettin my tree as accurate as possible.  Obviously being human I have made mistakes but I correct them when I can.  I have always been quite obsessive about having as many sources as possible for each 'fact'.  When I only have one piece of evidence for something I have made a point of annotating my tree that there is limited evidence. Although my tree is still something I consider a work in progress I was starting to become quite proud of all I had done and learned and actually felt I had tried to apply some sort of academic rigor to my research.

Today I have been told I have made an OK start but my tree is worthless as I have "no primary sources" and have never viewed any primary sources.  I have 100s of BDM records on my tree and a lot of Scottish Census records too.  These have either been viewed via microfiche in the old days and laterlly at Scotland's People's Centre.  I have some newspaper artcles but they are eitehr images from FindMyPast or photocopies from the collection at the Mitchell library.  The 'original' certificates I am lucky to ahve in my posession are effectively trasnscriptions of the original register entry so are also secondary sources.

Feelins so down about my research and questioning whether I should dump it all? I mean if it's rubbish why am I keeping it? Do I destroy it so it doesn't contaminate someone else's research? I mean the actual registers are not available for the public to handle so not as if I can ever fix it and get proper sources. :(

No don’t dump your research you have done the best you can.

Whilst it is probably correct that your research is not based on ‘original records’ if you take the view that the original record is the first written record of the event, you have used what are the first official records (or photographs & scans of the first official records, which is what Parish Registers on microfiche/film and online digital images are). Though to be pedantic Parish Registers were made from day books and notes often on scraps of paper, and are therefore transcripts and census, other than the 1911 are transcripts of mainly secondary information, but that is why we researchers try to amass as much information for a particular event as possible from a range of independent sources.
From what you write you are aware of the limitations of the sources that are available and have taken steps to ensure your information is accurate.

If you think about it to compile an accurate family tree from original sources it would have to be compiled by each and every ancestor who appeared on your tree recording their part in the process, each conception would have to be recorded at the time by the two people involved and each woman would have to be monitored for a reasonable time before and after each conception to be sure of the facts.
As the life events of our families and ancestors were not recorded in such a way we have to rely on official records and understand that these records will contain errors and omissions and we try to nullify these errors and omissions by the use of other records.
No tree can definitely be 100% accurate as the official records we base our trees on are complied from information supplied from 3rd parties after the event.
One only has to ask a policeman about witness reports of an accident or event to see that each witness supplies a different information to describe the same event.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 00:11 »
I do so hate those puffed-up. think-they-know-it-all,  supercilious cretins, who seem to want to lord it over everyone

That's brilliant Rena!

Pharma, next time someone questions how you got your degree, turn round and say, " I wonder how you became such a puffed up, supercilious cretin? "  That should shut them up.  ;D Start believing in yourself and ignore what others say, life is far too short to worry about what others think.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 00:42 »
PharmaT

Having read this entire thread I agree with all that has been said. It's unimaginable that someone can be so insensitive to make those comments to you. You sound as if you are more qualified that most of us so PLEASE don't beat yourself up over this..

Your daughter would be delighted I'm sure to receive her family tree as it's been done with living care by her mother. Something she can look back on as she goes through life giving her a truely wonderful link to her past.

I've spoken to you in the chat room and you are a lovely, caring,empathetic and sensitive person so don't get upset by
" Puffed-up,think-they-know-it-all, supercilious cretins, who seem to want to lord it over everyone"
A marvellous description by Rena and just think that every time someone starts to bully you.

Definitely don't scrap your tree either.
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 01:11 »
I agree with all the posts on here and would just like to say that the most important thing you can do for your daughter is to give her a strong sense of self. She would  be horrified if you binned your research.
How you react to criticism will be noted by her so you need to stand tall, look the cretins in the eye and inform them that you have listened to them but strongly disagree and will not be taking their criticisms on board. Then walk away smiling.
Do not engage with them or give them the reaction they are waiting for as it only feeds their ego and you won't win. There are many people who feed their own sense of self by trying to take others down. It never makes them any happier.

Online hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 01:22 »
When it all comes down to it the only real primary source is watching a birth and following that person through his entire life.  Hey, I might even use that in my signature.

Wouldn't you need to be present for the conception as well?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 02:14 »
I had the same problem. My genealogy was on the old PAF system and realizing I was not immortal made the decision to load it onto Family Search Org. Took quite a long time but made it. Received help from our local LDS branch genealogy library. Names from all over the world from Australia to Zambia (actually Northern Rhodesia).

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 02:26 »
Well PharmaT, when I started out I bought a book called Ancestral Trails by Mark Herber, subtitled 'The Complete Guide to British Genealogy & Family History', published in association with the Society of Genealogists and winner of the Library Association McColvin Medal for Outstanding Reference Work. 

The book is several inches thick & runs to over 700 pages, and nowhere in this acknowledged 'bible' of family history research does it say 'but having spent all of this time & effort describing all of these records to you, please be aware that none of them are 'proper evidence' so you may as well not bother'.

So who do you want to listen to - a prize-winning authority on the subject who confirms that your methods are correct, or some troll with no credentials whatsoever?
GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. North Yorkshire. MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.