Author Topic: Bristol marriage 1818  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol marriage 1818
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 08:01 GMT (UK) »
In a bit of a hurry this morning - but Thomas COX Lodger, aged 42, Mail Guard is on the 1851 Census at Bristol St James - with William RICHARD wife Maria - may be this is Maria - but could check for marriage and the GRO Index which would give the maiden name of Maria's children.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 08:16 GMT (UK) »

Gone back to the Tree on Ancestry

MARY COX aged 19 and a Niece is living on the 1851 census in Birmingham Warwickshire, with her Sister Sarah who married Charles GODWIN

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
The Will of Thomas COX 1842 of Gloucester is right - he talks about his various Sons, and deceased Son Isaac.

Hi again,
Just wanted to check with you that the will for Thomas you found is it on Ancestry? If so I will get a copy over the weekend.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 December 18 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Just to recap

1841 Census, Glos St Mary de Lobe

COCKS

Thomas - 73
Grace - 73
Harriet - 15 (your line)
James - 13

I sent a message via Ancestry to the COX tree and have had a couple of replies (the Contributer does have the Obituary for Thomas),

Also says the 1822 Pigot's Directory has Isaac COX as Coal Dealer in the Berkeley Canal Basin in Gloucestershire and 1830 Pigot's under Coal Dealers Canal Basin.

? and does question whether Isaac had two occupations -
Gloucester Docks was/is so close.

Thomas COX Will (1842) is on Ancestry - under, GLOUCESTERSHIRE, ENGLAND, WILLS AND INVENTORIES 1541-1858 - very clear to read - where he mentions Maria (christened 3 October 1830, Isaac's occupation, Coal Merchant)  -the daughter of his late Son, Issac -

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 December 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
? as the COX family could have originated from Rangeworthy   (Thomas COX 1768 Rangeworthy) there is this on the Forest of Dean records

Marriage at Rangeworthy - 25 November 1783

Isaac COX aged 43, (c 1740) Widower, Coal Miner, Rangeworthy
Hannah DEVEREL aged 40, Widow, Iron Acton

---

By Googling: Isaac COX Berkeley Canal Basin Gloucester

Under the heading:

Gloucester Docks - Albion Cottages

DOCK TRADERS

(includes the photograph of the two cottages)

As the canal neared completion, however, commercial activity in the area increased, and in 1826 both cottages were rented by traders who were evidently expecting to handle goods brought in by boat.  The cottage on the left was occupied by Isaac COX, a coal merchant, and the other cottage by Thomas MANSELL, a stone and marble mason who also sold beer from the premises in later years.  It is likely that both men made use of the horse-operated tramroad that ran past the front of the cottages to carry their products to customers in Gloucester and possibly on to Cheltenham.  In 1835, Isaac COX was replaced by Robert MONK, a blacksmith who presumably provided shoes for the horses collecting goods from the docks, including those pulling wagons on the tramroad.

Ancestry:  Gloucestershire Electoral Register 1841

Robert MONK, Hamlet of Littleworth, House by Canal

1841 Census, Hempstead, Littleworth

Robert MONK - 50 - Blacksmith
Thomas - 20
Maria - 15
Robert - 10
Sarah - 10

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 December 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I have gone into Family Search and called up the Baptism of Harriet COX - 14 October 1825 in Sussex.

The link on the right of the page - calls up to actual baptism register - BINGO
(have taken a photo)

On IMAGE 220 of 752

October 14th 1825 - Harriet da of Isaac & Maria COX - residence: Edward Street - occupation: TAILOR

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 December 18 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I have gone into Family Search and called up the Baptism of Harriet COX - 14 October 1825 in Sussex.

The link on the right of the page - calls up to actual baptism register - BINGO
(have taken a photo)

On IMAGE 220 of 752

October 14th 1825 - Harriet da of Isaac & Maria COX - residence: Edward Street - occupation: TAILOR
Afternoon,
Yes I had a copy of her Bap. Also have her marriage certificate to Richard Brabant. Harrriet sadly didn't live very long.
Thank you for the link to where Isaac was living. What a lovely little cottage.
I went to the library this morning and now have a copy of Thomas Cox's will.
Stinking hot here today so will spend the evening getting the rest of the info. into Legacy. Looking forward to printing it all out to see how it has all come together.
I really can't thank you enough for all your help.
It's been some time since I have done any research. After 30 odd years most of it has come to a grinding halt. I have started to write the different family up as I come to some that I hit brick walls on I thought it worth just trying one more time. Goes to show you never finish and should never give up.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 December 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
adlojo123 Tree on Ancestry has passed this info onto me (for you) - although not sure if 100%  re: Thomas COX  (1768-1841) was the son of Issac COX (1736-1818) and his first wife Hannah PEARCE (1746-1780)

'Marriage 19 October 1766 Tytherington, Gloucestershire.  Isaac COX, of the Parish of Rangeworthy and Hannah PEARCE of this Parish'

Gave you Isaac COX second marriage to Hannah DEVEREL - 1783 - previous reply..

Also this information on Google Books - regarding Issac COX and Hannah - written by Thomas POLE 1814 and 1816 -

If you Google, Isaac Cox Rangeworthy Gloucester - on Google Books, under the website:

History of the Origin and PCB History, Origin Adult School  - it would appear Isaac and his 2nd wife Hannah (DEVEREL) attended an adult school and learning to read.

'At Rangeworthy, in Gloucestershire, not far from Bristol, lived an aged couple, Isaac and Hannah COX; the husband had been an unsteady wild kind of man, and a great boxer.  The wife, aged seventy-three years, come to an Adult School, which she has attended for about three months; when she entered, she did not know any part of the Alphabet, but can now spell small words.
The husband, aged eighty years, was induced by the example of his wife to attend also; he knew some letters of the Alphabet, and can now read the easy Scripture verses in the Spelling-book; since his attendance, he has become quite an improved character; and says, the remembrance of the Scripture verses affords him great comfort when he likes awake in the night, as well as at other times.'

Also from adlojo123

Conveyance -
Date 5 May 1821, Held at Gloucestershire Archives.

Conveyance

1.  George Otter DAVENPORT of Glouc. City, painter
2. John DAVENPORT
Reference: D3117/4072

1. George Otter DAVENPORT of Glouc. City, painter
2. John DAVENPORT of Glouc. City, painter
3. Isaac COX of Littleworth, coal dealer ***
4. John COX of Glouc. City, musican *** (brother to Isaac)

Small piece of land 16 ft x 50ft x 48 ft in South Hamlet on the E of the Bristol Rd. plan included

Consideration: £34 16s and 10/-

Witnesses: Richard TIPTON; James ABELL

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 15 December 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »

'At Rangeworthy, in Gloucestershire, not far from Bristol, lived an aged couple, Isaac and Hannah COX; the husband had been an unsteady wild kind of man, and a great boxer.  The wife, aged seventy-three years, come to an Adult School, which she has attended for about three months; when she entered, she did not know any part of the Alphabet, but can now spell small words.
The husband, aged eighty years, was induced by the example of his wife to attend also; he knew some letters of the Alphabet, and can now read the easy Scripture verses in the Spelling-book; since his attendance, he has become quite an improved character; and says, the remembrance of the Scripture verses affords him great comfort when he likes awake in the night, as well as at other times.'

Please thank your contact for me. How wonderful that they both started to learn at their ages. These wonderful little stories help make family on a tree come to life. You couldn't make that up even if you tried.
Sounds as if he was trying to better himself in some way. Love it.
Thank you again.