Author Topic: Have I found his burial?  (Read 996 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Have I found his burial?
« on: Sunday 09 December 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I think that I have found an elusive burial, but since I can be subject to flights of fancy, I’d appreciate a second opinion.

Francis Lea was baptised in Shenton in Feb 1750. Francis Lee (parish register), who signed “Lea”, married Margaret Addams in Sibson in 1770. Francis Lee, aged 78, buried in Ratcliffe Culey in August 1830, aged 78. On the line below, Margaret Lee (79) buried in November of the same year. And you could pretty much walk from Sibson to Ratcliffe Culey just to buy an ice cream (if there were a shop, which I doubt). Can I put my money on this one?

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Have I found his burial?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 December 18 12:02 GMT (UK) »
well there may be a headstone? to prove one way or another? 

xin

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I would go with that, Dave, as the distances are very small.  Looks like he came from Shenton, Margaret came from Sibson, and at some point they went to live in Ratcliffe Culey.

I'd want to be sure that there was no other Francis Lea/Lee of a similar age in those villages, though, and of course keep an eye out for any corroborating info that might turn up.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I would go with that, Dave, as the distances are very small.  Looks like he came from Shenton, Margaret came from Sibson, and at some point they went to live in Ratcliffe Culey.

I'd want to be sure that there was no other Francis Lea/Lee of a similar age in those villages, though, and of course keep an eye out for any corroborating info that might turn up.

Thanks. I would be surprised if there were others (these are tiny settlementd) and I’ve certainly accounted for the Shenton people. On the other hand, this family has a habit of springing some surprises. Most of the Leas in a lot of the small villages round here are related, but whereas I thought they’d simply wandered to the next village and married, the truth was rather more complex. Many proved to be descended from two brothers who moved to neighbouring counties, had sons there, and then three of their sons had come back to the area. I suspect that it may have something to do with those brothers being sons of a youngest son. The offspring of the eldest son didn’t move away ‘til considerably later.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
well there may be a headstone? to prove one way or another? 

xin

Thanks, I will look but there may well not be. I’ve identified lots of family burials in the area but far fewer headstones.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I have oodles of rellies from Shenton area :)

xin

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I would be surprised if there were others (these are tiny settlementd) and I’ve certainly accounted for the Shenton people. On the other hand, this family has a habit of springing some surprises. Most of the Leas in a lot of the small villages round here are related, but whereas I thought they’d simply wandered to the next village and married, the truth was rather more complex. Many proved to be descended from two brothers who moved to neighbouring counties, had sons there, and then three of their sons had come back to the area. I suspect that it may have something to do with those brothers being sons of a youngest son. The offspring of the eldest son didn’t move away ‘til considerably later.

What I do if I have a real doubt is pencil the detail in (in this case the death/burial dates).  You can always change it later if you discover it's wrong. 

If I'm unsure about a person's identity, parentage and so on, I sometimes make a separate tree for them and build it on the assumption that it's right, and then it can be merged if and when proved.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 December 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I have oodles of rellies from Shenton area :)

xin

Perhaps we are related.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 December 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »

What I do if I have a real doubt is pencil the detail in (in this case the death/burial dates).  You can always change it later if you discover it's wrong. 

If I'm unsure about a person's identity, parentage and so on, I sometimes make a separate tree for them and build it on the assumption that it's right, and then it can be merged if and when proved.

Thanks, Sloe Gin, this sounds sensible.