Author Topic: Frederick Keys born abt.1829 Tiverton Devon  (Read 950 times)

Offline crazeekid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Keys born abt.1829 Tiverton Devon
« on: Monday 10 December 18 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have traced the Keys line of my family to Frederick Keys born in Tiverton about 1830 and who I believe is my Gt.Gt.Grandfather. Frederick married Maria Buckingham in 1851 in Exeter and then moved to Bermondsey where he is shown residing with Maria and children in the 1861&1871 censuses.
According to the marriage certificate for Frederick and Maria, his father was William Keys.And in the 1851 census Frederick was residing in Preston St , Exeter with his mother Sarah (born Shawbrook, Devon abt1781). And in 1841 census, Frederick Keys is shown residing in Sandridge Hill Cottage ,Tiverton age 12 with no mention of his parents.
But I can't find any baptism or birth record for him. I think his parents may be the William Keys and Sarah Back who married in 1807 at StLeonards Exeter according to a Parish marriage certificate I found. But I can’t find any records that tie this William and Sarah to Frederick Keys. I think Sarah’s birthplace shown as Shawbrook in the 1851 Census may be Shobrooke,Devon nr.Crediton as I can’t find any place called Shawbrook.

I would very much appreciate any information eg.baptism record ,about Frederick Keys born Tiverton about 1829 and any information about his parents.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Keys born abt.1829 Tiverton Devon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 18 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

There is a burial in Exeter - St Mary Major for a Frederick Keys age 8 on 15 September 1841 -abode Preston Street, I wonder where he fits in.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Along with  parents Thomas and  Susan is a 3rd  child Mary born 1839 Exeter, MMN Birkell

1851 Frederick missing so I assume the death found by Rosie 99 is the child belonging to Thomas and Sarah

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I would like to know the occupation of the father William at the marriage of Frederick, as their are twin baptisms 1st October 1827  Tiverton of an Edwin Florentine Keys b 1827 and Jane Elizabeth Keys 1825 Father William occ Smith Mother Sarah
Think Jane dies pre 1841
Keyboard86

PS where was Sarah Keys b c 1781 in 1841?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crazeekid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your replies!It was my first post so I appreciate the kind welcome and help offered.I’ve done quite a lot of searching in the Devon records and these are my responses on the comments offered:
Rosie99 – Yes, as already mentioned by Candrjm&Louisa Maud , this  Frederick Keys burial looks like  the son of Thomas and Susan Keys of Preston St  Exeter as per 1841 Census.
Keyboard86 –According to the marriage certificate (28.09.1851) of Frederick Keys (boot maker) and Maria Buckingham , Frederick’s father William Keys was a millwright. This is interesting because this was an important profession and as such I’m hoping I can find some trace of him.
I also found children of William and Sarah Keys baptised in Tiverton – looks like two sets of twins – William and Mary Anna Keys 21.01.1816 and Edwin Florentine and Jane Elizabeth Keys 01.10.1827. But no Frederick Keys who was born about two years later.  I can’t find any other William and Sarah Keys in Devon who could have been Frederick’s parents. Although it would appear Sarah would have been rather old to have another child as she would have been about 47 by 1829.
The Sarah Keys (b.abt.1781) in the 1851 census stated as mother of Frederick doesn’t come up in the 1841 census or later  censuses so I don’t know what happened to her.  I can’t find any baptism for her as Sarah Back in abt.1781 in Shawbrook/Shobrooke  stated as her birthplace. I’ve got a Sarah Back b.Cadleigh 1779 and a Sarah Back b. Exminster 1775. Could one of these be the Sarah Back who married William in 1807?
I have found a William Keys baptised in  Tiverton 1781 to William and Prudence Keys who is the only William Keys I found  born at the right time to have married Sarah Back in 1807. So this could most likely be Frederick ‘s father but  more information would help to confirm it.
But where was William Keys in the census of 1841 and 1851 and why was Frederick Keys without his parents at age 12 in Tiverton as per 1841 Census?
Any suggestions very welcome, thanks!

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 there is a William Grafton with them, might he be the son of Thomas Grafton (bootmaker) and Jane Keys?

They married Exeter, St Edmund 28 Dec 1828. A Thomas Keys is also a witness.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you come across this death?

GRO Death Index

KEYS, SARAH        Age 72      
GRO Reference 1855  J Quarter in EXETER  Vol  05B  Pg 70

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Looks like William Keys bc.1781 was buried 6/1/1836 Tiverton (aged 55).

Have found wife Sarah's baptism - she was baptised as 'Sally' Back 19/10/1783 Shobrooke, dau. of Thomas and Elizabeth.

The 2 baptised in 1827 were not twins:

Jane Elizabeth on original record shown as born 3/4/1825 - there is no separate birth date showing for Edwin Florentine so would appear he was born in 1827.

It seems pretty evident that Frederick was indeed the son of William and Sarah who, for whatever reason, was not baptised.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk