Author Topic: Jewish Births in Manchester 1860  (Read 1710 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Births in Manchester 1860
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi     

What siblings of WJW were there?     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

See Romilly's reply #16  :'(
There's this . . . . .

Ulverston, West Broughton, Dist6, RG10 4246 / 66 / p13

Friars Ground, Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire, England

William Wilson     45     Slate Quarrier

Elizabeth Wilson     46
* William J Wilson     10
 Jane Wilson     8
* Isaac Wilson     6
 George Wilson     4
* Agnes Wilson     2     

Slate Quarrier = Mason ?
* mmn Brunton born Ulverstone

William Wilson / Elizabeth Brunton     
m1850 Ulverston QS 25 2011851 HO107 2275 285 P26 Kirkby I     
WW + EW + dau Anne 1     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 09:17 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Heywood.

I know that I've asked about him many times before...

I just thought it might be worth exploring this avenue in the light of the DNA. (It can only come from that side, as all other sides are relatively straightforward to find).

I still think that a name change is the most likely explanation, but of course there was no legal requirement about that in Victorian times.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

I would agree with you about the name change.  I've seen this a lot with the Jewish community.  It's not just a surname that changes but often  a first name as well  :-\

However! What I would do is look for a burial. Was it in a Non-conformist section of a burial ground or maybe at a Jewish Cemetery? Maybe there is some information to be found in this manner. 

Have a look here and have see if any of this might be of use.
https://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/324/family_history_searches/7375/jewish_records

What about his siblings?  Have you any details about them?

Good luck
CD

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »

Hi CD,

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. There's no problem with tracing my Grandfather after he Married my Grandmother in 1893. It's before then that's the problem!

He's in Kelley's South Wales Directories from 1895 - 1930 with a listing for his Painting and Decorating Company, 'Wilson and Co'. I've found Newspaper Articles in the 'South Wales Press' for potential Bankruptcy and Invention Patents in 1889. He's on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses in Swansea.

I have his Death Cert, - he Died in Hendon, Middx on the 29th December 1937 aged 77yrs. He's apparantly Buried in Kingsbury, - although the Church denies that he's there(!)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi     

St Andrews, Kingsbury graves are an overgrown mess.     
Mostly with no grave markers of any kind.     

My own grandmother is there too, and cannot be found.
I'm not surprised that they have no documentation for WJW other than the burial entry ( with no target plot )     

BTW
"Redhill House" (where he died) aka Edgware General Hospital , Burnt Oak, Edgware.
(now Edgware Community Hosp),

Ray

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ray for the further info...

Until the 1911 Census became available, I thought that I had found my Grandfather in Kirkby Ireleth, as per your Post. However, on the 1911 Census the William James Wilson there is still single, still living at home.(He never Married and Died there too). Whereas my Grandfather William James Wilson is Married and living in Swansea with my Grandmother and six sons, (including my late Father).

Yes, it's very sad about the Churchyard at St Andrews, Kingsbury:-( I've wandered round it too...

I did finally get a reply from a Church Warden there, and they said they had no record at all of my Grandparents. My Grandmother was Buried there in 1934, - I would imagine that they are Buried side by side.

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi     

So that must be him in 1930's at 101 Barnhill Road, Wembley Park.     ?
( and Northwick Park? )     

Very close to St Andrews Church     

Other occupants were Florence and Frank William Wilson.     

He is still listed in 1939 Electoral (not NHS version) presumably natural delay of updating roll after he died.     

Again, close proximity to various old homes of mine.     

Ray

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »

Yes Ray,

They moved to Barnhill Road, Wembley in 1931/'32 from Swansea, after the suicide, (at home) of their youngest son Archie Wilson.

After Margaret's Death in March 1934, they moved to 57 Park Lane, Wembley. (Still there, but all the numbers have changed now).

As I've said, there's no problem with tracing him after his Marriage in 1893. That's why it's so frustrating that I can't find him anywhere before that...:-(

Romilly.
Researching: