Author Topic: Driver Joseph Sparkes, RFA, puzzle  (Read 1975 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Joseph Sparkes, RFA, puzzle
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Agree two different men and the one who died was the RFA/East Lancs man.  Agree with Cathy that he was the son of Alice Pearson became Bolshaw became Sparks.  Effects register entry confirms mother and four siblings.

Theory one:  Could 1336/39052 (who is the only one who died) have been a regular serving pre-war with the TF battery and later transferring to East Lancs with a regular number?  He had 4 years 5 months service for gratuity when he died so joined late 1913.

Theory two:  the Dec 1917 casualty report reference to Widnes suggest Joseph Sparkes born 1896 Widnes to Thomas and Jane with family living in Warrington Road Widnes 1911 and a tad nearer to Garston that the first Joseph whose connections all seem to be much nearer the west of Liverpool rather than the south. Perhaps the man with the Garston connection is 685984 and the death of 1336/39052 was wrongly thought to have been him.

Given the lack of positve evidence on both I wouldn't die in a ditch about any of this.  Feel free to ignore the therorising.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Alan Roberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Joseph Sparkes, RFA, puzzle
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I hope I can shed some light on this.  Joseph Sparks 39052 1st East Lancashire Regiment is the Son of Alice Sparks (Bolshaw).
He is listed at the Arras memorial as died 21st March 1918.  He was a member of my family from my mothers side. Alice Sparks brought up my Grandmother - Florence Bolshaw,  We have just one photo of Joseph in military dress.
My son carries Josephs' name in memory.