Author Topic: Is laziness in YOUR DNA?  (Read 886 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Is laziness in YOUR DNA?
« on: Monday 10 December 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Another fascinating article about DNA.  Perhaps they'll soon find out whether researching your family tree is in your DNA?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6479609/Is-laziness-DNA.html

Martin

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is laziness in YOUR DNA?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Dail Fail. "Is laziness in your DNA?"    Hmmm.

You must have come across Betteridges's law of headlines before.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I read the Daily Mail and Guardian websites because they are both free.

Martin

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
That's an interesting precis of our makeup Martin.  I read the first few sentences which reminded me that in the days of "early to bed, early to rise" I used to always be busy, busy, busy;  walked quickly; cycled quickly to get to my destination; always used my favourite word "Why" because I was nosey, nosey nosey; loved dancing; and if sat down always had my nose in a book or doing some sort of puzzle.

"They found 14 genes – sections of DNA which instruct the body to act in a certain way – which appeared directly linked to how physically active someone was.

Half the genes had never been seen to act this way before by scientists."

Having then reached the sentence (shown below), I wish I'd not read the article, as I seem to be mirroring their findings.  in that my sleep pattern has gone to pot; together with my deftness, and my push for more knowledge, etc., etc.

The study also revealed an overlap between physical activity genes and those which have links to neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease.   

I wonder if there's a gene that finds the key to turn original genes back on   :)
- I think I need to do a bit of surfing to find out  :D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
We must all have the nosey gene or we wouldn't be here