Author Topic: Iviemy  (Read 692 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Iviemy
« on: Monday 10 December 18 23:04 GMT (UK) »
John Iviemy in London  1791   unusual spelling, as it was his signature

Maybe someone has some information on a John Iviemy, who witnessed the marriage of David Rees and Mary Lee, on 5 May 1791 St. Paul Covent Garden, Westminster.

There is much on David Rees of Haverfordwest and Mary Lee of Watford, Northampton but as David Rees was 34 years when married, researching the background of John Iviemy may offer some leads in to Royal Navy or Militia background for David Rees, before his marriage in 1791.

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Iviemy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I think John Iviemy is a misinterpretation of John Jeremy

St Pauls Covent Garden 5 May 1791
Marriage
David Rees of this Parish, Bachelor
and Mary lee of the same, Spinster
married by licence. Robert Morgan, Clerk
witnesses: John Morris, John Jeremy, Elizabeth Lee

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sue,

Yes and no. We thought the same back in 1991, but not just accessed a different copy of the marriage of David Rees and Mary Lee in 1791. I will see if I can attach it, as it shows brideg , groom and withnesses each signing (different handwriting). I would expect John Iviemey and or John Jviemey, to know how to sign his name.

I will try to attach.
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 03:35 GMT (UK) »
I think it’s Jeremy. We did ‘r’s like that when I was at school, many moons ago.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=old+style+letter+r+handwriting&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari#imgrc=hIRr1Mg1AzwlWM:

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jamjar for your advice.

I will revert back to searching for a John Jeremy.

Keith

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps he is the John Jeremy, linen draper of Tavistock Street, Covent Garden.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=D143AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA398&lpg=PA398&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I have Rapkin ancestors,and within that family we have the surname Iverney.
They are all around London and Middlesex (Brentford) though.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you contributor re John Jeremy Tavistock Street, linen draper.
I now see that 1790 Directory, 29 Tavistock Street George and Small Jeremy; John Jeremy 23 Tavistock Street; and Thomas Jeremy 29 Southampton St.

Yes, it remains possible for a linen merchant to be the witness. I should now research that direction, as Mary Lee, a deceased grazier's daughter from Watford village, may have just been an employee of the Jeremy's, and thus, account for why she was living with the address of this parish (Covent Gardens) of how she married  David Rees in 1791. The Lee family were not short of a penny, when her father had died, when she was young. David Rees also married her younger sister Ann Lee in 1799 (Gloucester).