Author Topic: Could These Be The Same Person?  (Read 476 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Could These Be The Same Person?
« on: Tuesday 11 December 18 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, an ancestor Lilian Thompson (daughter of Alfred & Lily, nee Gallagher Thompson) b. 4 Nov 1912 in South Shields married a Thomas F C Collinson Oct-Dec 1933 in Islington, London (1b 649) and that's the only entry I can find for a Thomas F C Collinson. Yes there are loads of Thomas Collinsons born around the 1905-12 period but non with the extra initials. Also I can't find a death for a Thomas F C Collinson. :-\
I have found a birth for a Clifford Collinson b. Apr-Jun 1938 South Shields mmn Thompson (10a 1134) and also a death of a Clifford Collinson d. South Shields Oct-Dec 1938 (10a 759), I am assuming this is the same person. This of course has me wondering if the C in the husbands name is Clifford.

However I have come across a Tom Clifford Foster Collinson (same initials but the other way around) birth registered Jan-Mar 1908 in Rochdale who was living with his parents in Crewkerne, Somersetshire in the 1911 census. His father Hebry Collinson was a Baptist Minister.

A Lilian Collinson died July-Sept 1973 in South Shields aged 60 (1a 1733) age matches. I have also found a Tom C F Collinson married an Alice V Marshall Apr-Jun 1974 in Sunderland (Vol 2 P 1268) which is 7-11 months after Lilian died.

Lastly a Tom C F Collinson died Jan-Mar 2005 in Amber Valley, Derbyshire b. 3 Nov 1907. Nowhere, as far as I can see does Tom become Thomas and yes the initials are the other way around, but there is also Clifford running through both of them, his middle name and sons name. Is this just a coincidence or could they be the same person? Did he become a minister after his father and moved around the country?

Any help in solving this would be appreciated. Many thanks, Paul

And I hope all Rootschatters have an enjoyable and peaceful time over the festive season.  8)
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: Could These Be The Same Person?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 04:52 GMT (UK) »
On face value it sounds likes a transcription error.

Not sure if this will help, but I did find the following possibilities:

1933 marriage in Islington as you identified
1934 birth of son in Finsbury
1936 birth of daughter in Finsbury
1938 birth of son in S Shields as you idenitified
1939 Lilian is in Keswick Cumberland with Boustead family and 3 redacted entries
1943 birth of son in S Shields
1949 birth of daughter in S Shields

I haven't used names as some may still be alive.

Absence in 1939 and spacing of births thereafter may suggest WWII war service overseas.

I think you may have to get some certificates to prove it, though.

Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Re: Could These Be The Same Person?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 05:16 GMT (UK) »
On face value it sounds likes a transcription error.

Not sure if this will help, but I did find the following possibilities:

1933 marriage in Islington as you identified
1934 birth of son in Finsbury
1936 birth of daughter in Finsbury
1938 birth of son in S Shields as you idenitified
1939 Lilian is in Keswick Cumberland with Boustead family and 3 redacted entries
1943 birth of son in S Shields
1949 birth of daughter in S Shields

I haven't used names as some may still be alive.

Absence in 1939 and spacing of births thereafter may suggest WWII war service overseas.

I think you may have to get some certificates to prove it, though.

Mirl, many thanks for your prompt reply and assistance. As you said getting certificates, most likely the marriage one should clear it up, or will it?!!!!!!
Sun should be shining where you are, I guess Australia. I'm in Perth WA.
Cheers, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields