Author Topic: G J FALKINER Western Australia  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: G J FALKINER Western Australia
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Do you think it’s possible the marriage to Mavis/Mabel  in 1957 was a legal thing perhaps to reinforce a marriage that had previously taken place in some form in Japan?  What was her occupation?

Or that it was an act of bigamy and a reason for disappearance.

J.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Do you think it’s possible the marriage to Mavis/Mabel  in 1957 was a legal thing perhaps to reinforce a marriage that had previously taken place in some form in Japan?  What was her occupation?

It would be fair to suggest it would likely show as 'home duties' as most married women with children would be at home in the 1950s, raising the children while the husband was gainfully employed.   I am old enough to have been a child of the 1950s, and I can assure you that I have examined the electoral roll covering my parents and their contemporaries from the 1950s and all the married women were recorded as 'home duties' even those who I know with 100% accuracy were school teachers in the NSW public school system, and those who were telephonistes with the PMG, and court stenographers,  and etc ... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 07:13 GMT (UK) »
I have not yet found 'official' confirmation, but I understand (again only as antedotal from my older rellies) that the Admin section of the Department of the Army (DOA) involved in the logistics support for the British Commonwealth Forces involved in Korea was based in Japan, and of course had been in Japan as part of occupation forces earlier.   So 1946 - 1954 ish,  and that NAA has in the past declined to upload indexes that may give indication of names of those involved - privacy etc for those who are still living. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 07:40 GMT (UK) »
So, if he was with Australian Army, is there an earlier immigration to find?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 07:59 GMT (UK) »
All those who were in the AIF or the RAN or the RAAF needed to be British Subjects.  They did not have to be in Australia to enlist.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
The British Commonwealth Forces Korea ... the lead force was the British Army.  Personnel also drawn from Canada, New Zealand, India and Australia

:)  :)  I continue to encourage my elderly rellies to join RChat ...  but they continue to decline.

ADD,  I know that to be eligible to be on the electoral roll in the 1950s you needed to be aged 21 and over, residing at an address, and a British Subject, either born one or by naturalisation.  :) 
JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Australian Electoral Roll
WA  Perth/Perth   1949
DHUE Mabel Mae  221 St Georges Terrace   Waitress

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
According to Electoral Roll-
In 1958 a chap named Thomas Charles DHUE, a farm labourer lived at the address given on the immigration card.

There are hints in newspapers that he was there earlier, around 1953/4.

He was born in 1922 and died in 1984, interred Karrakatta.
I have not confirmed his relationship to the 1957 bride, but I suppose possibly her brother.   

He married in 1944 and there was  a divorce about 4 years later.

Details not really relevant.

Sue

ADDING,
Perhaps the two men were mates in the forces
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?ServiceId=R&VeteranId=927225

Australian Electoral Roll
WA  Perth/Perth   1949
DHUE Mabel Mae  221 St Georges Terrace   Waitress

So not living with Thomas Charles.

221 St Georges Terrace Perth was accommodation for nurses and doctors rooms around that time. Forrest House. Perhaps she waited on tables at their meals
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/46253378

All indications are her birth date was 1931, so she was not eligible to vote being 18 years in 1949. :o

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »

:)

Perhaps Mabel's birth registration is indexed and available online and showing birth registered WA Northam and perhaps she has living siblings whose births are indexed there too.  (WA goes to 1932 at present).

Has contact been made with Mabel's siblings or their descendants seeking any family knowledge or thoughts about her marriage?

JM

Has the OP obtained copy of this b.c.  and  contacted the family members including any first cousins to her friend ...