Author Topic: G J FALKINER Western Australia  (Read 6617 times)

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: G J FALKINER Western Australia
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 15 December 18 08:34 GMT (UK) »
I have just checked for birth for Mabel M Dhue it is 1931 not 1933 Northam West Aust  reg 225

this gives her age at marriage 26yrs and 21 at 1st birth 1952

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 15 December 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Looks like child born 1952 was a male and he passed away age 39 buried Karrakatta West Aust
can pm details if it fits.

Offline tascj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 15 December 18 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes the last comments are correct. We have all the WA information. Now trying to learn more about GJF. Family moved to VIC circa 1958.  GJF left the family.   Mother and three children moved back to WA. Thanks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 16 December 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue.  I believe the radio announcer occupation is outside of the Army/Airforce but you never know.  The relocation to Melbourne circa 1958 was supposedly to a new job in radio. I was wondering if there is an archives that would hold staff lists of Radio Stations in VIC and WA.

We have much information on the DHUE family in WA.  I would really like to concentrate on and find a birth of GJ Falkiner and his parents marriage and location after 1958.  All I have is from the 1957 Marriage Certificate.  GJ Falkiner supposedly born Sudbury England circa 1923, parents listed as John Henry Falkiner (Stockbroker dec) and Edith Catherine Longden. I am normally confident in finding such records and locating folks in the 1939 census but no luck so far. 

Friends of the family have confirmed an English accent. And another confirmed flying bombers in the Airforce. But I have not found Service records as yet.  Iwakuni appears to have been set up as an airbase for the Korean War.  There are some informative records available online about the base.

Thank you for everyone's input!

I think you should be considering that the IMMI card information is reliable in every detail.  My first cousin (NSW born) served in Korea, and on the weekend just past there was a family reunion with many of us attending at Uralla NSW.   I caught up with this cousin and his Dad and asked about Radio Announcers etc...  Yes, there were radio stations with Military announcers from British forces, DOA.   I checked, yes, DOA was British Department of Army.  I mentioned there could be other meanings to that abbreviation, yes, but usually it was British Dept of Army.   

So, I introduced the IMMI card and my Uncle notices (he a retired Academic)
a) Immigration Card, so the applicant was NOT an Australian Citizen, and we went through each piece of info in GJF's hand ...
 b) Soldier, so NOT Navy,  NOT Airforce, so ARMY.  United Kingdom or Canada or New Zealand or India or USA ...
 c) mentions re-posting,  so staying permanently ... as in 12 months or more and waiting for any re-posting ... so he has served and is now back to RESERVES and thus able to work to earn living as though a Civilian - so check to see HOW LONG UK soldiers would have needed to serve before being eligible to be a RESERVE ... 
d) married so a wife and possibly family somewhere -   

I asked my cousin about the Radio Announcers for broadcasting to the Services ... Yes,  both USA and Britain established their Radio Stations, sometimes mobile ones, specifically for keeping morale and local info to the personnel ... Australians were kept up to date via the British broadcasts,  the announcers were definitely in Uniform, well spoken 'posh' English accents ...

Now I am back home, and I have googled.  I think it is likely there are UK resources to help with the BCFK (British Commonwealth Forces Korea)   It may have been known as BRITCOM Broadcasting Station or similar. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 16 December 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »
This likely to be him on the bus from Geraldton in June/July 1954?
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/250892913?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/250893429?

Never said what GJF's occupation was on the certificates (presumably soldier or similar on Births 1 or 2 at least?)

Offline tascj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 16 December 18 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  The first two birth certificates list GJF Member of the Australian Military Forces.  As per the previous message re the service at Iwakuni, he would be British Army.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 16 December 18 22:36 GMT (UK) »
 :) Good find jonw65

Re those first two birth certs, with informant their mum ... what was exact wording, each time for the occupation of their father, and look specifically for any minor differences including spelling, .. so far the date of the London marriage (9 Sept 1947 or 8 Sept 1949) seems to be the only difference...

Was Mabel or Mavis noted for each birth

Long time between marriage and first born

Do WA birth certs include details of any older siblings ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 16 December 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes WA birth certificates do mention older siblings, only family would be able to obtain these certificates, very strict in WA!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 17 December 18 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Suzyvan,  same strictness in NSW,  100 year restrictions on births.   :) 

JM