Author Topic: DNA and red hair  (Read 1584 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: DNA and red hair
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 December 18 00:10 GMT (UK) »
One grandparent on either side of the family had red hair, none in the following generation on either side, then 3 out of 6 grandchildren are redheads but only on one side of the family, myself being one as is my sister. :)  My grandfather went dark but my grandmother ended up white haired.  Judging by the number of white hairs that are gradually appearing I could be taking after her :( , although I can still get away with not adding any colour. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA and red hair
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 December 18 05:41 GMT (UK) »
I have five daughters only the second one a red head, the others various colours. :)
When they were younger people used to look at them and you could see what was coming "is the red head one yours". Yes we would say.

Don't know where it came from no one in the immediate family was red

I recall when my sister and I were in Ireland - she said to me your daughter would be at home here - because there were so many people with red hair that walked passed us.
Then again maybe it came from the Scottish ancestors.

This daughter turns 50 next year and she has never put a colour in her hair  - it is tinged with a little grey now. :)
PS. She has three children the first and third have red hair.
Sarra