Author Topic: DNA and red hair  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA and read hair
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
You are finding us a lot of DNA articles, recently, Martin. All very interesting.

Can you just change the heading of this one, please!!   :)

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I think Martin has been doing too much reading. ;D ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
As the motherof a red head who has a red headed daughter i found it fascinating. Everyone we meet comments “where does she (either daughter or granddaughter) get her red hair from”. Hubby’s hair was dark brown, blonde when a child and I am mid brown, with loads of white  ;D ;D but was blonde until six.
Out of interest my hubby’s cousin was a red head until he went grey.
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: DNA and red hair
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Please be assured that my now-corrected mis-spelling in the original subject was down to finger trouble and not stupidity.  Normally I get so irritated by the internet grammar and spelling police, as those of us that care, know there's a mistake and those of us who don't care, well, don't care. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.

I will find the next few days very difficult, trying to come to terms with my carelessness. I thank you for your thoughts at this difficult time.

Martin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Martin, I hope you recover soon, we need you here.

:) :) :)

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I was interested in the story about link between red-haired gene and skin cancer, even for those of us who didn't inherit the red hair. I slathered factor 50 on before venturing outside this summer.
Cowban

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 December 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
People who didn't know me as a boy don't believe me when I say I used to have bright red hair. It's now gone what I call "champagne-coloured". Both my sons had very blond hair when little, and their hair has got darker with age (opposite to me). The younger one has now sprouted a beard, and it's red. I've been told that my paternal grandfather as a young man had dark hair and a red beard.

Harry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 December 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Not the more typical red/carrot colour but I had  copper coloured hair before it slowly turned blonde  ;D

My father had  deep auburn hair, which was in his mother's and father's lines. My mother had dark chestnut hair and also had red hair in her father's line. There seems to be a full range of hair colour on both sides.

I gather that my lovely paternal grandmother (in my avatar) and a 1st cousin of my father  also had copper coloured hair  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***