Author Topic: Duffy Family - Help needed to move onwards.  (Read 1539 times)

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duffy Family - Help needed to move onwards.
« on: Friday 07 December 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I don't know whether I should revive this chat or start anew.. But anyway I am also researching the Family of Edward Duffy and Catherine Jordan. Of their many children ,I looking at their son Edward(Born 10 Feb 1864 Moyne ). He married Mary SHARKEY 30 April 1896 in Breedogue. It is this Mary who is in the 1901 census in Loughglinn with the widowed Edward Senior and is shown as his daughter-in-law. In 1911 census she is still at Loughglinn , married with daughter , Bee Jane(Bridget Jane ) who is 14. (B 1897)
Her husband Edward is not listed for either of these 2 census. When daughter marries in 1914 she names her father as Edward a farmer(not deceased it seems) .
I cannot find Edward the husband anywhere. The last record I can find is that it was he who registered his daughter's birth.
Can anyone help me find the elusive Edward ?
Thanks
Erin

Moderator comment: split from original topic here

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=796885.0
Cowell, Hoener, Frazier, Christopher, Dyer, Cheshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy Family - Help needed to move onwards.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 December 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
When daughter marries in 1914 she names her father as Edward a farmer(not deceased it seems) .
Marriage certificates don't always indicate is father is dead or alive.

Marriage of Edward Duffy & Mary Sharkey (1896)- https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1896/10493/5821392.pdf

Mary Duffy is in Moyne townland (Co. Roscommon) in 1901- Loughglynn is the DED- and Mary is shown as married-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Loughglynn/Moyne/1662795
Daughter B. Jane is with Sharkey grandparents in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Frenchpark/Ardmore/1666914

Father-in-law Edward Duffy died 1903-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05659/4593216.pdf

1911 census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Loughglinn/Moyne/766293
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Thank you for replying. I already have all the information that you kindly sent . What I can't find is what happened to Edward Duffy . The last sighting /record is that he is the informant for his daughter's Bridget Jane birth in 1897. He does not appear on the 1901 or 1911 census with his wife. I have been unable to find his location at all after this 1897 point.

Mary (nee Sharkey) is not registered as a wiidow in 1901 or 1911. I know that marriage records such as his daughters , do not always state whether father is deceased or not. So maybe he was pr wasn't at the date his daughter married. However, I cannot find him after 1897 living, resident or deceased.

so any help in tracking down Edward from that point would be fantastic

Thanks Erin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 18 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I posted the details since anything might help find this missing Edward Duffy. For example, his birthdate may appear in records overseas which would confirm his identity (there are so many Edward Duffys born in Ireland around the same time).

Someone has an online tree of sorts- have you tried contacting them to exchange family details?
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Duffy-2538

Another family tree doesn't list Edward-
https://thecore.com/efinn/gene/display.php?&mode=display&rid=1037

Some of the Duffys ended up in Manchester, England. Have you looked for your Edward in Scottish or English records? passenger lists of those leaving the U.K.?

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am grateful for the information. after all I didn't say where I had already looked! I found this discussion and follwed it through, but I got a tad confused but saw it was the family of Edward.
 Edward that I seek is definately a child of Edward Duffy and Catherine Jordan as I have found his birth and baptism records. Also it was his wife who was listed with his father (widowed) in the 1901 census at the Loughglinn family residence. I saw the discussion about his brother John in Manchester. I have looked at passenger lists , Scotland and England. I could not find anything for him and not even a death.
His daughter B Jane married John Dwyer in 1914 in Breedogue. B Jand and husband John Dwyer(Of Callow) both buried in Cloonshanville Abbey Graveyard, French Park. So they did not follow him wherever he went to.   I have sent a msg to the Efinn site, as I saw that Edward is not on their list of Duffy children. The Duffy trees on ancestry have not been fruitful.
I have also not been able to confirm a death record so far for Mary Duffy(nee Sharkey). It is possible that she went to wherever he was after B Jane's marriage. But I cannot find that either.
I was hoping other Duffy family may have come across Edward in their searches.
He may have gone to England or elsewhere for work , as many did, but I have failed to find him. So I posted here as I hoped others may have seen him after 1897 record of daughters birth. Maybe he is in plain sight but I just can't see it.
All help is gratefully received. I am sorry I may have sounded otherwise  :'(

Late at night in far away OZ.... Erin

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
There is an Edward Duffy in 1901 in stockport, Cheshire, lodging at Murland's lodging house.

He is Irish, aged 36 and married (and wife is not living with him)

Reference to census:

Registration district:
Stockport
Sub-registration district:
Stockport First
ED, institution, or vessel:
Piece:
Folio:
Page Number:
Household schedule number:

Another possibility - as a shopkeeper in Leicester

Registration district:
Leicester
Sub-registration district:
North West Leicester
ED, institution, or vessel:
Piece:
Folio:
Page Number:
Household schedule number:
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mary Duffy, 40 yrs Laundry Maid b Manchester with Edward Duffy in the Lodging House.
She is the next entry on the census anyway.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk