Author Topic: Maypole Dairy store but where?  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Maypole Dairy store but where?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
As there are two crosses on the photograph, I wonder if the writing on the back refers to two people, Master Revell written on one side of the dividing line and Ernest on the other  :-\
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
That's a very valid point Jools.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Alun Pugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 05:53 BST (UK) »
This photo of Maypole Dairy Co. is in Batley Market Place. I have the same postcard stamped with photographers name in Batley. Shop to right is Abraham Althams. Confirmed by Batley Historical Society

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
That's a good find - thanks, Alun (and welcome!).

Now you've given us something definite, here's another view with Altham's and Maypole on the right hand edge:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-batley-market-place-early-1900s-57336084.html

From comparing with current pictures/street view, does this mean it was roughly where Jo Cox House is now?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 14:30 BST (UK) »
Brings back childhood memories of a Maypole where my father was manager. We lived in a flat above the shop when I was small and the store rooms and cellar were my playground. Many a happy(?) hour was spent checking eggs with a candle box. The bacon slicer was quite hypnotic as it did its work back-and-forth, back-and-forth! I remember weighing up packages of lard with wooden paddles on the Avery scales. Later I delivered boxes of butter on the front of the trade bike and after I left school I 'boned' sides of bacon for a short while.
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline Alun Pugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks now I know exactly where.....

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 15:45 BST (UK) »
I've found a couple more photos:

https://www.francisfrith.com/batley/batley-commercial-street-c1955_b642017

https://www.francisfrith.com/batley/batley-market-place-c1955_b642011

The first one shows Maypole, with Althams now replaced by Timothy Whites & Taylors (chemists) and its stonework painted. The second one is the same shops viewed across the market square: Maypole is dark and probably can't be identified on its own, but Timothy Whites and its painted stonework is easy to spot. This confirms that the building was where Jo Cox House now stands.

If you have access to Ancestry you can see the same two images as part of their Francis Frith collection. They're nos. 7 and 1 in the Batley set.

(Incidentally, I was told that Stows shopfitters and joiners of Bradford - family firm of some of my ancestors - did a lot of work for Maypole, and as that's close to Batley, they may well have worked on this one.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk