Author Topic: Elizabeth Anderson of Peterhead mystery  (Read 416 times)

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Anderson of Peterhead mystery
« on: Tuesday 11 December 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find info on Elizabeth Anderson of Peterhead

Who is the mother of one of my relatives

Mentioned in previous topic Elizabeth redwood Samuel

On the birth of her child in Peterhead in 1848 Elizabeth is addressed as Betsy Anderson

I looked for census info and in 1841 she is residing at windmill street with Charlotte Anderson age 35
And a few other siblings by the look of it
One sibling looks like murdoch Anderson which I believe is charlottes maiden name

There is a marriage for a john anderson and a Charlotte murdoch in peterhead I believe this is her parents

In 1851 it confirms that Elizabeth Anderson age 22 and Elizabeth Samuel age 2 are residing in crooked lane Peterhead - she is noted as seaman’s wife

I find this strange as she has a different surname to her daughter which he saw in baptism record in 1848 also can’t find a marriage for Elizabeth or Betsy anderson to a James Samuel

By 1861 the daughter Elizabeth redwood Samuel age 12 is residing at back street with grandmother Charlotte Anderson 55 and her uncle Murdock Anderson 21

I would like to know what Happened that she was living with a grandmother

What makes it strange is on Elizabeth redwood Samuels marriage in 1875 her mother is Eliza Samuel maiden surname Anderson ?

Can anyone help me discover what happened if there ever was a marriage to James Samuel ? And where did Elizabeth Anderson go and is there a death record ?

Thanks

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Anderson of Peterhead mystery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I thought the consensus was the the 1848 child was out of wedlock?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804886.msg6632839#msg6632839
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes if we consider this

Where did she ever go ?

And why on her daughters marriage cert is she a Samuel with maiden name
Anderson

I can’t find a death for her

Although in 1901
There is a Elizabeth Anderson
Born abt 1826 Peterhead age 75

Pauper inmate

St Nicholas Aberdeen John knox
Nelson street
House work domestic
East poorhouse Aberdeen

I would like to find what happened to Elizabeth as May Indicate why her daughter Elizabeth redwood Samuel was living with grandmother Charlotte

Ryan

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
A tree suggests that Elizabeth married James Willox in Peterhead19 Sep 1850 . In the 1861 and 1871 census she is shown as a widow. In 1874 she remarried a George Deans(7 Sept 1874)but would appear to be a widow again in 1881. Her death seems to have been in 1904 in Peterhead.

Hopefully the marriage cert. on Scotland's People to George Deans and her death cert. would confirm her parents as John Anderson and Charlotte Murdoch.

In answer to your question about why Elizabeth Samuel was with her grandmother in 1861 this can frequently be observed with children born out of wedlock, whose mother subsequently marries someone other than the father of the illegitimate child.  Assuming the above scenario is correct James Willox and Elizabeth Anderson had children in the 1850s. Stepchildren can often be observed with grandparents or other relatives although, as ever, it is worth noting that the census is simply a reflection of where they were on census day.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much William for your in depth info

I really appreciate your time
And effort

I will look into this tonight

Ryan