Author Topic: OUR LADY'S HOSPITAL CORK (LUNATIC ASYULM)  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Mary Tuohy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OUR LADY'S HOSPITAL CORK (LUNATIC ASYULM)
« on: Tuesday 11 December 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My great grandfather died of TB in 1910 in the cork asylum. We do not know where he is buried. I would like to know where would I start my search for his grave and where I could find information on what conditions were like in the hospital at the beginning of the century. I also wonder what treatment if any was given to these patients.
Mary 

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
Re: OUR LADY'S HOSPITAL CORK (LUNATIC ASYULM)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mary maybe more info would help names etc Good luck!
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline Mary Tuohy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for encouragement.
My GGrandfather died in the cork lunatic asylum on the 21/02/1910. We do not however know where he was buried. His name was Timothy Tuohy born 12/07/1969. Unsure where to start the search for his grave.
Mary

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Image not online yet but there is a death of a Timothy Twohy 1910 in Cork on the index, it says married aged 40. It's quite likely he was buried with the rest of his family as his wife was still living. Where in Cork was he from?

Offline Mary Tuohy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
His wife Margaret was living in Charleville Co Cork. She is buried in family plot in Charleville but Timothy wasn't. He was not spoken about much all hush hush. She was Margaret Lynch from Kilmallock Co Limerick.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Could it be the case he is buried with Margaret but his name was never put on the headstone. A young widow with children would be unlikely to spend money on a stone and later generations may not have thought of him.

Looking at old maps I can't see a burial ground marked at the asylum but there is lots of open ground for one. There are two churches one likely COI and a mortuary so it's likely there is a burial ground as well.
These graves are usually unmarked and it may not be recorded in his file, if it survived,where he was buried if he is there.
Our Lady's is only part of a large complex.
http://architectureireland.ie/the-longest-building-in-ireland-the-eglinton-asylum-cork
http://www.corkindependent.com/weekly/ourcityourtown/articles/2017/10/11/4147072-walking-tour-of-our-ladys-hospital-complex/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
This YouTube video indicates that there are burials from Our Lady's in St Finbarr's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxImD_l18g0
There is a burial register for the cemetery online which has Our Lady's burials (found by looking through individual records) but it only goes to 1896
http://www.corkarchives.ie/collections/onlinedigitalarchive/stfinbarrscemeterycorkcity/

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »

I thought maybe some of of the patients from Our Lady's Hospital (formerly known as The Eglinton Asylum and afterwards The Cork District Lunatic Asylum) might have been buried in St. Marys Cemetery, Currakippane, which is quite close to the hospital.   I already knew some residents from Our Ladys had been buried there but this was later than 1910 - mainly 1950's/60's.  There is a special section which is quite large with little iron crosses and brass name plates and most of these burials are patients from Our Ladys Hospital.     Beside this is a large Celtic erected by the Southern Health Board with the following inscription -

"Please pray for all those buried here-You are precious in my eyes and I love you  -Is. 43:4
Rest in Peace
Erected by the Southern Health Board"

I took some photos but for privacy reasons I would not like to publish them here.

If you wanted to check if your grandfather was buried in St. Finbarrs , Glasheen Road, Cork you could contact the Cork City Council with the details and they could check it for you.   It is possible that he is buried there and maybe in a communal plot for the hospital or in a non payer grave if the family didn't arrange the burial.

Hope this helps in your search.

Mary
celtic liberty

I recently came across a website mainly about the staff at Our Ladys Hospital by John Gilroy.  It also contains some excerpts from the minutes of the Management committee.  It makes for sad reading in places. 

Link -  Acknowledgement to John Gilroy  this section up to 1900 but if
you google Our Ladys Hospital staff you might find around the relevant time of 1910.

http://staffolh.com/?page_id=469

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline sullyos

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 20 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm looking for details of a family member that was sadly committed to Our Lady's Hospital on the Lee Road Cork around 1936 until he died we think in the 1950's.  His name was Michael Joseph O'Sullivan (Sullivan) Castletownbere. I'll also ask the Cork Library. Where else might information be found? Where might he be buried? Can anyone see his name anywhere? I should be very grateful for your help. All the best SOS