Author Topic: OUR LADY'S HOSPITAL CORK (LUNATIC ASYULM)  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Jaynie P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OUR LADY'S HOSPITAL CORK (LUNATIC ASYULM) - help with records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 March 21 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm trying to trace my Great Grandfather Albert Peterson who was, I believe in this asylum in 1905 and I know he was still alive in 1911.
Were the records for the asylum kept anywhere?  I'd really like to try and trace Albert - at least see if he was there.  My Grandfather ended up in the Greenmount Industrial School and it was his admission form that said his father was in the lunatic asylum.  Such a shame!
If anyone has any ideas of where the records may be, that would be wonderful
Thank you so much
Jayne

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: OUR LADY'S HOSPITAL CORK (LUNATIC ASYULM)
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 March 21 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Timothy Tuohy death mention of church records

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie

there is a Albert Peterson also mention on this site death 1917 aged 41

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 March 21 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Jaynie,
This link is for the death it states he was from Cork Asylum.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1917/05220/4444698.pdf
Ooops sorry just seen rathmore's reply.

Youghal Auxiliary Lunatic Asylum is to the east of Cork City.
Maggsie

Offline Jaynie P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 21 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction.  It looks like the Albert in the records is my Great Grandfather - the dates fit in with what I already know and his age is spot on.  He'd been in the Asylum since at lease 1905 - on the 1911 census my Great Grandmother was listed as Married so I knew he was still alive then.  My Great Grandmother died in 1924 and by that time was the widow of Albert.  It's very sad to see he suffered with TB for 8 months before he died at only 41.
I couldn't understand why he was missing from the family records, but now I understand why.
Thanks again for your help with my search.  Very much appreciated.   :)

Offline zautai

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too am trying to find details of a relative who I believe was admitted to the asylum in 1914/1915. Her name was Abina Murray she would have been early 30's, she always lied about her age and we can't find a birth record, we believe she died there in the mid 1940's, but we need proof that she was actually admitted as nobody in the family seems to be able or willing to confirm it.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 January 22 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too am trying to find details of a relative who I believe was admitted to the asylum in 1914/1915. Her name was Abina Murray she would have been early 30's, she always lied about her age and we can't find a birth record, we believe she died there in the mid 1940's, but we need proof that she was actually admitted as nobody in the family seems to be able or willing to confirm it.
There is a  Death 13 Oct 1945 @ Cork District Hospital for a Abina Murray from 51 Lough Rd Cork Spinster age 62 years Occupation Shop Assistant She had been in the hospital for 1 day

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 January 22 20:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a  Death 13 Oct 1945 @ Cork District Hospital for a Abina Murray from 51 Lough Rd Cork Spinster age 62 years Occupation Shop Assistant She had been in the hospital for 1 day

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1945/04611/4222752.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 January 22 09:13 GMT (UK) »

Youghal Auxiliary Lunatic Asylum is to the east of Cork City.

Cork District Auxiliary Lunatic Asylum, Youghal
GeoHive National Townland and Historical Map Viewer - Historic 25" Map 1887-1913
https://arcg.is/1ODrm5

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo