Author Topic: Army birth record's 19th Century.  (Read 1037 times)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army birth record's 19th Century.
« on: Tuesday 11 December 18 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folk's are there record's for soldier's children born in Ireland in the 1800's? My GT x2 Grandfather
was born in Ireland around 1827,we assumed he was among the many who fled the famine and
ended up in Gateshead in the mid 1850's but his marriage cert. has his father's occupation as
soldier which put's a different slant on thing's.Problem is his name is recorded as Corten on the
cert. but all cencus,burial and other record's have the family as Kirton,just to cause further confusion
his first child's surname is spelled Curtin in the Church register,he was John as was his
father.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army birth record's 19th Century.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 01:54 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has British Armed Forces and Overseas Births and Baptisms

However I don’t see an obvious candidate.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Many thank's for looking anyway.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Not all army birth records reached the authorities - depended on how conscientious the office bearers in the regiment were [my g grandfather's birth in 1846 in Dundee Barracks isn't on the Findmypast army lists]. You may have to look for a baptism. Or try looking at army records for John Curtin [+ variations] senior - both ancestry & FindMyPast have them.

Did your 2 x g grandfather ever put a more specific place of birth than 'Ireland' on the England censuses? This would help searching for his baptism on http://www.rootsireland.ie/ - a pay site. There are 61 baptisms for a John Curtin/Kirton 1827 +-5 yrs in the index but you have to pay to be able to put in John as a father & see the results.

ADDED: On the above site it is free to access Griffiths Valuation. If you search for 'John Kirton' - this includes variations - you get 116 results, interestingly none are Kirton - all are Curtin or suchlike. This will give yiou an idea of where in Ireland any Curtins lived.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 December 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of John Curtins in ancestry's military records of the right age [born ca 1800] to be John Curtin snr but these are only available fold3 which requires a further subscription though you can take out a free trial week [I have used mine up unfortunately]. Appears to have been in a Leinster regiment.

I did have the thought too that just because John Curtin jnr was born in Ireland that his father was not necessarily Irish. My g grandfather was born in Scotland but to an Irish soldier stationed there. The latter was born in England to an Irish soldier father too.

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »
There are 18 John Kirtons in Co Durham in the 1841 census. My guess would be that the soldier father was from that area.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 December 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank's Josey,family folklore has Cork as his birthplace but no firm evidence exist's,Shaun I think
we ruled out all the John Kirton's in Durham from the 41 Cencus my thought's were possibly Newcastle
being his father's last Garrison.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 December 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I spent months trying to get a copy of the parish register for my daughters baptism her to be husbands church wanted a updated copy this was only 32 years ago & the barracks was by then all penthouse flats & the church a skate board ring . i located the army parish books at Kew Archives where i was told all army church records end up I even found the church book with my wedding listed in it  .so might be worth giving them a try if they dont have them they may be able to tell you where to look .if you go there you need to book in advance & have a red card to go into the 2nd floor

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 December 18 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Many thank'sfor the information Jane.