Author Topic: Burial record address  (Read 2279 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial record address
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB.

This may sound fairly basic but how do I access the census reference HO 107 / 1558 / 558/ 53 that you gave?
I no longer subscribe to FindMyPast, which used to have a road search for censuses, and that may be how you found the reference. Is there any way I can get there through Ancestry? Or I may have to start thinking about reviving my FindMyPast subscription - the cross-references were always useful.

Ray

Just go to the Ancestry census search for each specific year, and enter the numbers in the appropriate boxes for piece, folio and page.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark.

It seems the Alms Houses in Gravel Lane were founded in 1863 ('Mrs Vaughan's Charity') some 9 years after Hannah's death.

Ray

Hello Ray

See also 1705 & 1812 for earlier Alms Houses, Gravel Lane:-

Southwark
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/surrey/vol4/pp161-162

I'm not saying they died there, it was just a suggestion, just in case they were still running and if any documents might have survived?

The 1812 Alms Houses, Gravel Lane, were linked to Rowland Hill, Minister of the Chapel of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion. Lady Huntingdon and Rowland Hill, were Methodists.

Rowland Hill, Methodist (London 1799)
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VcVLAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA540&lpg=PA540&dq=%22Rowland+Hill,+Methodist%22&source=bl&ots=tWg1CrwX2F&sig=3AGC1mIyGw8-LETrta1ngWwzTrM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjAvOLYpZvfAhWCzaQKHS7jBn0Q6AEwC3oECAcQAQ

Mark

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again JenB.

Ok. Pretend I can just about turn on a computer... I have gone to the Ancestry 1851 census search page but can see no options or boxes to enter piece, folio and page. When you gave the reference before I looked for such options but only those for personal details are available. There is no button for 'advanced search' for example. Do we have the same screen?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 December 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Don't use the 1851 UK Census Collection page, go to the 1851 England Census page, selected from the list Included data collections: at the bottom.
Then you will see a list of boxes for various entries, including those for piece, folio, and page number.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 December 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Do we have the same screen?

The page you describe sounds like the 'UK Census Collection' page which is a general search across all censuses. You need to go to the drop-down list underneath this, and specifically select census year in which you are interested. Then, as Stan has said, you will clearly see the boxes for piece, folio and page numbers.

Added: I wrote this before Stan edited what he'd written.  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 December 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys, so obvious, really. Now I know why I got a bit part in "Dumb and Dumber". ;D

Cheers,

Ray

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Well that makes two of us then :D

My excuse is that I haven't had an Ancestry sub for very long (ahem, only 15 months)!

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch