Author Topic: Responsibility  (Read 735 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Responsibility
« on: Wednesday 12 December 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I ended up in tears last night  :'( :'( :'( :'(
  getting worse    ::) ::) ::)

I was tidying up some odds and ends of family..

Found a Great Aunt that  --- NOBODY else left in the world remembers  or knew  and suddenly I couldn't stop seeing her lovely face and remembering her ... so sad.

How many more I thought to myself are on my tree that are forgotten....

Well I know of course that past a certain time it wont be possible to remember our lovely rellies too well.

But it really hit home, when I was looking at this bunch of people that now.. no- one apart from me in the family knew.  or remembers   - maybe --

What a Responsibility then to get it right.....

I Know this lady Great Aunt Minnie - had NO descendants - But she did have lots of cousins.   Today I will search and search  - just to check if she has anyone apart from me left as blood line.

Her father was NOT named on her birth cert. :( 

She was Minnie Draycott .. daughter of Louisa Draycott June 1895/ 1971 Leicester and here is a pic.

The strange thing about this family is they either remained single or died young ..
Apart from Emma Draycott - my G.Gran and Mary Jane her younger sister.. so the only link names are Green/ Foxon / Williams (went to Wales no trace)  and Liquorish - and then Bowler..... I have checked on all these descendants..

going to spend some time re- finding these possibles.... descendants

xin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Responsibility
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Bless her, Xin (and you for remembering her).

What a lovely smile she has  :)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you xxxx

xin

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes ,it hits home especially at such a family orientated time as this.
Mine is my father’s sister,5 years younger than he and left to look after her Dad andtwo older brothers when her zmother died,she was 14.
Had no life really,keeping house and Grandad thought she had enough to do without having a job too,so she did not meet many friends which she would have done at work.
Married the quietest gentlest man you could imagine.
No children but she was a fantastic knitter,those familiar with complicated knitting will be able to visualise the lovely feather and fan stitch,she knitted my sister and I lots of things.
She looked after Grandad and her batchelor brother,was very interested in sport ,and loved snooker on T,V.
When her husband died I sorted out affairs for her and got some help as they had been too proud to ask for any.
Used to living very frugally,through the depression of 1920 ‘s and 30’s .
I used to get her pension for her and would give it to her,she would say get my handbag please and put it in.
I never did but gave the  unopened
bag to her and went to the  Kitchen and made Coffee.
I felt she needed that privacy.
When she died I was on a school trip that day,the call from hospital came about 8-30 am.
I phoned the teacher with whom I worked and explained,(there has to be a certain percentage of adults to children for safety reasons and my absence would have meant the trip may have to be cancelled.)
However someone else stepped in and I went  to the hospital some time later after a long traffic jam delayed journey.
Sadly she had died,but I had been there the evening before.
To tell the truth I really think she was dead when I was phoned.
No one missed her ,her father and both brothers had died years before.
Simple service and no fuss.
But the marriage was a good one and so although they were not church goers the only thing I could think to do was to have their names put in the book of remembrance for their wedding day at the local church.and each Sunday nearest that date their names are read out.

.I put flowers there on the Sunday nearest their anniversary and that is all I can do,just a little remembrance of two modest people .
However——— when I had to open the handbag,feeling incredibly guiltyI was so surprised,she had saved up a considerable amount over I don’t know how many years.There were no others besides my sister who refused to visit or attend the funeral and who thought auntie’s husband quote,” a nobody”,
So I shared it with a near neighbour who had been very good to the old couple.
At that time we had to have extensive repairs to our big old house( we must have had the worst surveyor ever!)
They were going to cost almost as much as the house.

Boy did auntie’s nest egg come in handy.I had no idea they had anything.
Very modest by most standards but amazing for two such people.
No one but me remembers them at all.
On a policy .taken out by Grandad for her there is a signature of a witness,
my grandfather’s sister whom at the time I had no knowledge of.
Most documents were lost in the blitz of December 1940.
So there I remember her fondly and with great gratitude.
Viktoria
But no one else does,sadly.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I'll be the aunt/great aunt etc some day, I've no descendants, hopefully my work on the family tree will at least keep my name recorded. There is quite a few childless forgotten people on my tree, I find myself drawn to them the most.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I agree this lady has a lovely smile -  ..

I think this is great Xin that you are going to see to it that this forgotten ancestor will not be forgotten anymore. 

I believe everyone has a good story if only we care to look .. best wishes in discovering more about your Great Aunt Minnie! :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I met up with my mums cousin and shared the family pictures I had with him. He asked who the girl was in the photo of his dad aged about 12. That’s his sister I said. He never knew his dad had a sister, he had never mentioned her during his life time. Sadly she died aged 10 from meningitis. I have the only two pictures of her. He sat in utter shock that this person was never mentioned by his father. I grew up knowing about her and hearing about her short but tragic life. Families are very strange how different people cope with these tradergies.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk