Author Topic: Jabez MAYNARD 1770-1818  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jabez MAYNARD 1770-1818
« on: Wednesday 12 December 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the baptism or origin of Jabez Maynard.

I'm Canadian so I don't know the Yorkshire area at all. I've been focusing on my 5th great-grandfather who lived in Yorkshire

My 5th great-grandfather was Jabez Maynard who was born about 1770. I'm not sure if he was born in Yorkshire or not as I haven't been able to find a baptism for him.
He married Sarah Harrison (born 1774 Thorne to Richard and Betty Harrison) on 25 Nov 1793 at St. George Doncaster.
He died in Dec 1818 at a place called Drypool. His burial was 20 Dec 1818 Holy Trinity Kingston-upon-Hull. His abode was listed as Groves.
As far as I know they had 9 children: John, Mary, Hannah, Sarah, Jabez (my 4th great-grandmother), Jane, Ann, Benjamin, and Joseph.

I was hoping someone might have some Maynards, Harrisons, or Hodgsons in their family trees. Some other names that I'm interested in are Mannering and Abercrombie. Those are the middle names of two of Jabez and Ann's daughters. I haven't been able to figure out the significance of those names.

**There is another Jabez Maynard from Pontefract who married Sarah Wray and died in 1840. Through certificates and lots of research we have concluded that this Jabez is not the one I'm searching for.**
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jabez MAYNARD 1770-1818
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
According to familysearch, Yorkshire Bishops Transcripta and Yorkshire Banns Sarah Harrison married a Jabesh Mayman  25 November 1793 in Doncaster. The witnesses were Robert Graton and John Butler. Sarah made her mark but Jabesh signed his name and it is quite clear as Jabesh Mayman.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. I haven't seen the actual record, only the transcript provided by FreeReg.

The baptisms for their first few children show Jabez Maynard and Sarah Harrison. Then one of their grandchildren is given Harrison as a middle name. Is it possible he was Jabesh Mayman but then changed it?
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the entry for the marriage on FreeReg it gives the groom's name as Jabesh [HM]ayman meaning it could be Hayman or Mayman.

The images of the Bishops Transcript and the Yorkshire Banns can be viewed on findmypast.

The only baptism I can find which is anywhere near the name Jabez Maynard is

Jabez Manard bapt. 31 July 1763 in Pontefract Father John. Abode Knottingley

There is also a marriage for a Joseph Maynard in Pontefract 30 May 1789 to a Sarah Wray

Pontefract is about 14 miles from Doncaster so in the right area.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Okay great thanks. I'll check out Find My Past. I tried Ancestry but didn't have too much luck.

I've spent a lot of time looking at the Pontefract baptism in 1763. For a while my cousin and I thought that was our man. Then my cousin ordered the death certificate from 1840 and the place of death and occupation don't match our Jabez. The 1840 death suggested the birth year was 1763 which lines up with the Pontefract baptism. We found a burial record for 20 Dec 1818 in Drypool for Jabez Maynard age 48. We are pretty sure but not 100% that he could be our man. His wife died in 1852 at Waterhouse Lane in Myton. She lived with their son Benjamin.

It's been so confusing trying to figure this family out. I thought with a name like Jabez Maynard I would have it easy. Turns out it's a fairly common name that I had never heard before.

I feel like the answer is right in front of me and that I've been given some clues but can't figure it out. Their grandchildren were given middle names of Abercrombie, Mannering, Harrison, and Hodgson. Harrison and Hodgson make sense to me since their grandmother was a Harrison and their mother was a Hodgson. But Abercrombie and Mannering have me stumped and I'm sure they must be a clue of some sort.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid that is all I can find. Sorry not to be able to be of more help.

Emeltom

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction with Find My Past.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Have to say that I think in the images of the banns for the marriage in Doncaster in 1793 the surname in the  signature is Maynard.

I think you are correct to rule out the Pontefract Jabez - there is a burial in 1840 in Knottingley for a Jabez Maynard b1763 , occupation waterman. Knottingley is in Pontefract district.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi William,
Thank you for your reply.  The death in 1840 is definitely not our man. My cousin has the death certificate and it doesn't match up with our man. The occupation is wrong. We believe the burial to be 20 Dec 1818 in Drypool
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)