Author Topic: Windows no longer open in the size and position I want  (Read 637 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Windows no longer open in the size and position I want
« on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I suspect there is no answer to this, it will just be "one of those things" that I have to learn to live with if I insist on using antique software, but here goes.

I use MS Works databases to hold tens of thousands of lines of data, each a record of a bap or burial or census entry etc etc.  And I've never found anything more modern that does the same for me in the way I use it in as few keystrokes.

Recently (as in the past couple of weeks) when I open one of my little databases it no longer opens in the position and window size I am used to seeing, so the first thing I have to do is resize it and put it where I want it.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled in case my installation had become corrupt.  I have checked the properties on startup and it says "normal window".  I have experimented with changing "normal window" to run maximised and minimised and there is no difference, it always opens in the same size window.  I'm guessing that the latest M$ update(s) have no knowledge of something as ancient as MS Works and the bit of code that used to tell software what size window to open in is no longer supported, but if anyone knows of a "do it once" workaround for Win10 I'd be glad to hear of it.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Windows no longer open in the size and position I want
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I have this problem with my Legacy family tree program.  I set it to the size and shape I want, similar to all the other programs I open, yet each time I close and re-open it has shrunk to about a quarter the size.  It drives me mad but, like you I can't find anyway to stop it.  Fortunately, so far this is the only program I'm having a problem with.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Search the internet for "saving Windows positions". There are many different reasons for Windows positions changing and different ways of saving them. If you look through some of these choices you should find one that that is applicable to your current position. Without seeing your computer and your screen I would be reluctant to give you more specific detail.

Martin

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Martin - I've tried one suggestion that you hold down the Ctrl key before clicking on the X to close the window, so I'll see if that works.

Modified - It didn't, it opened the window so that it fitted the whole screen  ::)  I re-set the size and closed the program, re-opened it and it stayed as I want it.  We'll see what happens in the next day or so.  Obviously some blink in the program.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks from me also Martin and like LizzieW fingers crossed it remembers after a reboot.

For me the ctrl key held down while clicking the x worked but only after I'd altered my taskbar settings to auto-hide.  But I can live with that much more easily than repositioning and resizing every time I open a database.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON