Author Topic: Do you become emotional doing family history?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you become emotional doing family history?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 December 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Wow doddsie what a wonderful story!!  At least a happy emotional experience for you.  Catherine is certainly an ancestor to be proud of .. I am happy for you in being able to find out all this ..  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 December 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I usually remain detached during my research but sometimes when I'm writing up my findings I do find myself getting emotionally involved. I have copies of some letters written to my grandmother by three of her brothers who were serving in the Great War. One was killed in France and one returned without his right arm (I did meet him once and to this day I can still picture him holding out his left hand to shake hands - that sort of thing makes an impression on a small boy), only the eldest of the three survived.

An earlier ancestor lost his first wife three months after they married, then married again and had four children who all died in infancy followed by his second wife. After that he seems to have had four illegitimate children with a third woman, eventually marrying her and increasing their family to eight, although only six of them survived childhood.

The fact that so many others suffered similarly can't have made it any easier to bear these losses.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 December 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »
A few months ago I was doing a death notice look up for someone on RootsChat and I came across a poem someone had written for a boy miner in their family.  I can't remember the words but this was so sad.  The poem read that he had set off that morning cheerful and in the best of health but then had been killed in an accident in the mine .. and that we never know when it might be out turn.  I felt so sorry for that poor little boy who had his life cut off so tragically.  Quite a few of my ancestors were miners - one died a gruesome death mangled in machinery, some like my miner Grandfather didn't live beyond middle age and quite a few became incapacitated with health problems.  My own Father narrowly escaped death when he had a pit accident in the 1960s.  I am so glad that my Dad was the last generation of miners in my family. Definitely not the good old days for the poor miners!

Something similar on our the news this morning!  Tragic!

The family of a four-year-old girl were there when she was killed at an Auckland rugby ground.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/109344495/young-girl-dead-after-incident-in-south-auckland-involving-rugby-scrum-machine?cid=app-iPad

What a shocking tragedy. A dreadful thing to happen at any time, but right on Christmas??  It'll never be the same again for this family!  I see that this has happened before to another wee girl, (the daughter of an All Black), these contraptions should be locked away securely when not in use.  It's a club's responsibility to make sure this never happens again !  R.I.P. little sweetheart! 💞💞
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 December 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Darn it YES

I have just discovered  - someone STOLE  one of my photos

Yes it is on my TREE  but that is PRIVATE  and it is off NOW all photos coming OFF now..

Communicate with me and ask.. You who nicked the pic have it placed in your tree .. and guess what
It is under the incorrect name...

Due to the fact after further research I realised that it was NOT the lady I originally thought it to be...

I know dont put it out there if you dont want it nicked...

dsffjdflkfkljfiea'#ghj;9okdfah

xin  slightly angry ... will calm ... down.. but I may well have shared had they asked.. but NO just take its easier..  Sfgdsfiogfkjpoiie

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 December 18 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, photos and other records come up in search results even if it's a private tree!  (On Ancestry anyway) I've had them taken off mine, and the person had the cheek to change my mother's name to her sister's!  Needless to say I didn't tell her she had it wrong, but how many genuine researchers will now have the wrong name for my MUM if they're finding this other persons copies!

I'm always happy to share anything on my tree, but it doesn't take much to at least contact me first and ask permission!  Just good old fashioned courtesy, and good manners!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry is at fault with its 'HINTS' thrown at people and if you double check .. they are often incorrect but almost correct and so someone who is absolutley ---- just clicking keys to fill a tree will click and copy

WRONG

I am over it a little but that lady's pic was carried around by my G. G. grandfather for years in his wallet/pocket  there was a note with it when I re-discovered it.. and a terrible mess it was in..

But beautiful once it had been on here..

uhm

xin