Author Topic: Airplane Mode  (Read 2144 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Airplane Mode
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 December 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »

"It's a very rare case where it misbehaves."       
Looks like it is mis-behaving? Isn't that why we are sitting where we are answering Lizzie's query?       

"Everything gets reset when a home router gets restarted."       
That's exactly why I said "Power on/off". That's a simple restart?     

"Whether wired or wireless, each box should ask for a new IP address."       
Repeat the ipaddress allocation, either new or pre-allocated.   
Prove the pattern that the problem cause is hers, OH's, someone else.     

"likely to get the same address they had last time."       
Unless other (new or wired) kit beats them (W/L) to it     
That's why you set it up to ask for ipaddrs out of -normal- household useage range     

"fixed values" ? yup, mac addresses?

"Not many" ? It's been common practise for quite some time.

Apologies to those reading.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 December 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
The point is that the "freezing" symptom is extremely unlikely to be associated with IP address allocation.

With the symptom being evident only when operating wirelessly, that's where the real problem lies.

Because the laptop freezes and does not recover, it appears that the associated device driver has problems. There may be a better version on the manufacturer's website; Windows Update rarely offers wireless drivers.

If this doesn't sort things out, the only option is to try to avoid the situation which causes the freeze.

The change of channel is one approach. Another is to see if there is a way of influencing things from within the laptop.

Some wireless adapters have configuration option you can change from within Device Manager. This box allows me to pick a Band Preference (2.4GHz or 5GHz) and various combinations of 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n. Under Windows 10, selecting the Properties of the current wireless connection (in the list when you click on that little wireless icon in the bottom right) will show you the version currently negotiated with the router.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 December 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »

"With the symptom being evident only when operating wirelessly, that's where the real problem lies."     
So, you admit that it is NOT channel-related.
"The point is that the "freezing" symptom is extremely unlikely to be associated with IP address allocation."       
Reminder. If the ipaddress is already connected by a prev.alloc and (somehow/some reason/cable) it (the w/l mac) will not connect ( if it is accidentally/deliberately perm allocated. )That's why the suggestion is to pre-alloc frequently-used pieces of kit to non-common ipaddresse range(s).Commonly 192.168.1.100-199 or even (if router allows) 192.168.1+x.nnn     

I make no claim to emboldened situations or  "probabilities". All possible.       

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 December 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
The symptoms appear to be the response of the laptop to some event in the wireless environment. IP addressing can not be the problem because both devices work for a while. If there was a clash with a fixed IP address that would be obvious as soon as the device connected. IP address clash has been a standard Windows error message for over 20 years. In any case, there are very few devices on an ordinary home network

That might be interference from some non-networked device, in which case the channel is the best way of addressing this.

If the hardware and drivers allow changing the band, that would automatically adjust the channel. Moving to the 5GHz band would avoid the crowded area where most of the suspects for interference sit. The default band setting for most drivers is "No Preference", and I've seen loads of boxes decide that 2.4GHz is the easier option.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 December 18 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your discussions  ::)  I understand what you are saying about having different IP addresses, I'll tell my husband about that.

The other thing is that both my laptop and my husband's tablet are barely a year old and the router was also new when we moved here August 2017.  We think a lot of the problems are down to BT (we actually use PlusNet, but everything comes down a BT line), when we first moved in the connection for the router was in the sitting room, and our laptops were in our study, which is through 3 thick walls (1926ish building) and my husband couldn't get his tablet to work at all unless he took it into the sitting room.  Not a lot of good when the paperwork he needed to use was in the study.

Eventually, after a lot of pushing - and BT trying to tell us it was the fact that we had the "wrong" telephone plugged into a nearby socket - we had the router moved to the study.   

As my husband only uses his tablet rarely, we will probably stick with the configuration until such time as we can get cable.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 December 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
We do have separate IP addresses 192.168.1.XX and 192.168.1.XY so that's not the problem.  There's also a IP DNS no. which is 192.168.1.ZZZ.  In that case both tablet and laptop have the same number.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Just found this after a few days absence. On Virgin cable which was great at first, now a lot more have signed up for it fluctuates badly from Zero to 2.5MB I seconds. Unusuable when there is something on like football on a Virgin channel.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Roger - we didn't have any problems when we had it in the 1990s but perhaps there wasn't as much football then.  I'll ask my daughter if she's noticed problems when there's football, although I doubt she watches much TV she's too busy doing other things, work, babysitting for her brother's children (our grandchildren), knitting, sewing, embroidery etc.  she's one of these people who doesn't know how to sit down and relax - unlike her mother  ::)