Author Topic: Looking for wedding in Folkestone  (Read 1279 times)

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for wedding in Folkestone
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crisanne

Many thanks for that information, it does indicate the probability that young James was illegitimate, but there is another possibily in that James Junior became a sailor and there areapparently stories of a maritime tradition, so I wonder if young James's father was a sailor?

Regards

David

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
When James Philpott married in 1873 he states his father as James Philpott, Stage Coachman.   This person doesn't seem to have existed and suspect made up by James.

His baptism in Folkestone on 4/6/1843 states he was the son of Elizabeth Philpott, widow (if born of a lawful union his father would be named even if he was dead).   There is no death of supposed father James between 1841 and 1843.

If the 'trees' are correct that mother Elizabeth was nee Relfe born Folkestone ca.1801 then the closest seems to be the baptism of an Elizabeth Rolfe bp.26/11/1799 Folkestone, dau. of Daniel and Mary.   In 1841 Elizabeth has a dau. Hannah with her who appears to be the Hannah Abigail Philpott bp.20/4/1834 London, dau. of Francis Philpott and wife Elizabeth.

Francis Philpot married Elizabeth Relfe (?) in 1831 London - suspect that 'Relfe' should read Rolfe and that she was indeed the one born Folkestone at end of 1799.   Francis Philpott died in 1835 so certainly couldn't have fathered a son born in 1843.    I would suggest that purchasing the 1843 birth certificate of James should show (like the baptism) that his mother was Elizabeth Philpott, widow but should show her maiden name also.

Annette

I note the trees have Elizabeth dying in 1888 but believe this is incorrect (she doesn't appear on any census 1861 to 1881) and that she is probably the Elizabeth Philpott aged 53 who died Dec. qtr.1854 Elham.
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

That is an amazing analysis and seems to cover a lot of ground and makes sense. The only query i have is that in the 1851 Census, there is another James Philpott born 1821 and there is a baptism in 1821 in Cheriton of a James son of John & Mary that fits perfectly, but I cannot at present find a link with John philpott and Francis Philpott which would complete the circle.

Regards

David

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)