Author Topic: Old and very weathered gravestone  (Read 606 times)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old and very weathered gravestone
« on: Wednesday 12 December 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I have an image of an old gravestone, from roughly early to mid 19th century. Very weathered and most of the smaller inscription cannot be read unless enhanced in some way. Sadly documentary information is lost due to a rectory fire in the early 20th century.

The question is can this image be enhanced enough to make sense of the inscription? Anybody looking for a challenge?

:) :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old and very weathered gravestone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I suggest that you scan the photo at a resolution of 300dpi and in colour mode and post it on the Photo Restoration Board. You can post a file size of up to 500kbs.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old and very weathered gravestone
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 18 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Carol. You might find it interesting since the gravestone is located very near to Harbour Grace in NL.

Del