Author Topic: George Bush  (Read 821 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Bush
« on: Wednesday 12 December 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
As I was checking the american ancestors site for another thread  and found this.

https://www.americanancestors.org/George-Bush

They’ve missed my husband and children from the list!   :D ;D

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: George Bush
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
That link is very interesting!  Thank you for posting!  I don't have any USA research, although my grandfather and some of his siblings were born in Boston.  👍
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I didn’t think I had US research either. Until.....researching my husband’s family who came to NZ in 1857.  The wife of that couple was born in London, as was her mother. The will of the father of the last (I’m sorry to be so vague I am bound by a contract with a US journal where I was lucky enough to have the full story accepted for publication).  Anyway!  The will of the father, who died in London started out I ... of ...Middlesex AND of Elizabeth Town New Jersey...  it was the clerks copy from ancestry and you know what that script is like, it was my first exposure, I wasn’t sure if I was reading it correctly at first. 

Turned out he was an American Loyalist, and a high profile one at that, who came from MONEY.  Not a single rumour of it in the family.  Letters were written to and from George Washington about him.

You can imagine the thrill I am sure!

It was a huge learning curve for me.  In the course of my research I discovered there are 3 yards of papers held at the NY public library that were deposited by another genealogist of the family in the 19th century, so although I am satisfied with my research on my man (about whom the said genealogist knew very little) it is an ambition to go and look at them one day.  I have to work out how many days that is going to take, and how to afford it!

This man’s  3 or 4 (can’t remember off top of my head) great grandfather is also an ancestor of George Bush, hence my comment at the start.

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 18 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Mckha489.

When I looked at that George Bush ancestral link I saw that he was related to four Mayflower passengers......the same ones I am related to.  How fun!

Also one of my families, Coffin, had divided loyalties with one Boston branch being American Loyalists who moved to Canada when things got too dicey for them.

:)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 December 18 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Well there you are, they missed you from the list too.

I worked out once that there must be at least two million living descendants of the common ancestor   :)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps he’s been looking at too many Ancestry trees?