Author Topic: Very very large BRICK WALL  (Read 5302 times)

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Very very large BRICK WALL
« on: Thursday 13 December 18 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I've at long last come to the conclusion that this great-aunt of mine cannot be found unless anyone else has a brighter idea. Her name is Ada Georgina Moth born on 4 Jun 1871 in Gosport, one of 12 children. She was the first born daughter of James Moth and Georgina Emily Mary Hobbs who were married on 18 May 1871 in the Registers Office, Portsmouth, Hampshire, obviously with some urgency! I've found her as a scholar on the 1881 census living at 34 Ivy St, Portsea and again on the 1891 census as a housemaid age 20 living at 4 Lynchford Terrace off Waverley Road, Southsea. Then NOTHING! I've tried, marriages, deaths, immigration so I can only think it must be a transcription error. If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful as I'm writing a book about the Moth family (my grandfather's line) and her chapter is going to be exceedingly short!

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Very very large BRICK WALL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I see that out of the 12 children 2 had died by the last census. Have you worked out which two they were, so you know for sure if Ada was still alive by then or not?

Also I see her father left a  Will when he died in 1931 - have you got a copy of that to see if daughter Ada is mentioned?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Link to a previous post to save duplication of research

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=567248.9
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
I see that out of the 12 children 2 had died by the last census. Have you worked out which two they were, so you know for sure if Ada was still alive by then or not?

Also I see her father left a  Will when he died in 1931 - have you got a copy of that to see if daughter Ada is mentioned?

Please see replies #11 and #12 here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=567248.msg4195771#msg4195771
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 December 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Link to a previous post to save duplication of research

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=567248.9

My apologies for the duplication in my posting bearcat, I completely missed yours  :-[

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this reminder that I'd previously posted this same question back in 2011. This just shows everyone how long I've been trying to get some more information without success. I've even thought to go through all the certificates of marriages for her remaining siblings hoping she may have been a witness but no such luck. I'm afraid I'll just have to give up on her and consequently write a very short chapter in my book.
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.
AnnieP
PS I did send for the will but he left everything to his wife and no children were mentioned.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »

Reply # 12 on the linked thread indicates only one had been identified at the time of writing  :-\

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 December 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Possibility for the second child....

Rose Moth mmn Hobbs b Dec qtr 1878 and d Mar qtr 1880 so would have missed the 1881 census.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada