Author Topic: Very very large BRICK WALL  (Read 2415 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Looking to the past - or the future?
    • View Profile
Re: Very very large BRICK WALL
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 December 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
To resurrect a query from other thread by dee-jay
quote "I had a crack at locating the daughter of the household where Ada was located in 1891:  'Isabella' aged 30 born Staffs Kingswinford but I'm not certain her surname has been transcribed accurately as I read the first letter 'P' - not the 'V'ANHOOK of FindMyPast;  neither could I trace the Celia CHESTER, cook."

RG12; Piece: 876; Folio: 59; Page: 30
There is something odd on this page. I too read the first letter as 'P'; the previous entry is an Esther Annie Sims age 21 who is living at 3 Lynchfield Terrace, single, servant. Next door at No 4 is Isabella [looks like Paxhook or Parhook] single, 30, no occupation, daur - should she be 'Head'? - but indexed on ancestry as Sims. If she was a lady of means perhaps Ada went abroad with her - although I know OP has said she has checked travel/migration records. Without knowing Isabella's real surname that's difficult to check. I can find no suitable births of an Isabella registered in Stourbridge [for Kingswinford] around 1860.
Seeking: baptism Philip Murray 1813 nr Chatham Kent, death Ralph James Dunn b 1808 1861 - 1868 in Newington 1861
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Nova Scotia [Halifax, Pictou]: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 December 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I had thought of that myself but as you say it's very difficult to read Isabella's surname. There is a possibility of a departure from So'ton on board the SS St Louis on 5 Aug 1899 to New York. The name transcribed is Miss A C Mott, ticket no.6478 along with a Miss C Morgan with the same number. Looking at it closely it could well be Miss A G Moth and it does say that she was single. This is probably just wishful thinking on my part!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 December 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for this lady in the 1900 US census?
Seeking: baptism Philip Murray 1813 nr Chatham Kent, death Ralph James Dunn b 1808 1861 - 1868 in Newington 1861
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 December 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
To resurrect a query from other thread by dee-jay
quote "I had a crack at locating the daughter of the household where Ada was located in 1891:  'Isabella' aged 30 born Staffs Kingswinford but I'm not certain her surname has been transcribed accurately as I read the first letter 'P' - not the 'V'ANHOOK of FindMyPast;  neither could I trace the Celia CHESTER, cook."

RG12; Piece: 876; Folio: 59; Page: 30
There is something odd on this page. I too read the first letter as 'P'; the previous entry is an Esther Annie Sims age 21 who is living at 3 Lynchfield Terrace, single, servant. Next door at No 4 is Isabella [looks like Paxhook or Parhook] single, 30, no occupation, daur - should she be 'Head'? - but indexed on ancestry as Sims. If she was a lady of means perhaps Ada went abroad with her - although I know OP has said she has checked travel/migration records. Without knowing Isabella's real surname that's difficult to check. I can find no suitable births of an Isabella registered in Stourbridge [for Kingswinford] around 1860.

Following up this line of thought, the full address in 1891 is Lynchfield Terrace, Waverley Road. In 1901 there is a 43 year old Isabella Grazebrook living at 63 Waverley Road, with her mother (RG 13 / 990 / 31 / 9)   Isabella's birthplace is Staffordshire. Tracking her back, her birthplace in 1881 is Kingswinford . So I wonder if this is the 1891 Isabella, hopelessly mistranscribed by the enumerator in 1891?

In any event, if it is the same Isabella, there is no-one called Ada in the household in 1901  ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 December 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Looks very likely JenB, well done. But a dead end it seems - still everything found, however negative, is another avenue followed & ruled out. 

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 December 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all this research and well done at last discovering that elusive surname of Isabella. I've checked briefly on the US 1900 census but need to have a more thorough search. As yet nothing seems to be showing but again she could of course have married.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 December 18 08:55 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 Ada is a servant to Isabella Vanhook.

Familysearch has this birth entry

Carley I VANHOOK mother Ada MOUTHS in 1831 in Pulaski, Kentucky gender 9  :-\

with Ada being born in 1872 she's be too old to have a child in 1831 but there's 2 unusual names ....

(I think I'm on totally the wrong track with this one  >:( )
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Portsea Rate Book for 1891 has
Occupier - Mary Grazebrook
Owner - Morley
Property - 4 Lynchford Terrace (Waverley Rd)

It is Lynchford on the census (rather than Lynchfield)

There is a possibility of a departure from So'ton on board the SS St Louis on 5 Aug 1899 to New York. The name transcribed is Miss A C Mott, ticket no.6478 along with a Miss C Morgan with the same number. Looking at it closely it could well be Miss A G Moth and it does say that she was single.

It does looks like A C Mott
The ship was the St Paul (rather than St Louis)
Unfortunately at the New York end I think that the passenger list for the SS St Paul may be incomplete.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Portsea Rate Book for 1891 has
Occupier - Mary Grazebrook
Owner - Morley
Property - 4 Lynchford Terrace (Waverley Rd)

It is Lynchford on the census (rather than Lynchfield)

Just to tie up the loose end, in 1891 Isabella Grazebrook's mother, Mary Ann, is a visitor at a household in Esher RG 12 / 614 / 25/ 14
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk