Author Topic: Very very large BRICK WALL  (Read 5306 times)

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Very very large BRICK WALL
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I've suddenly remembered that she has been mentioned before as Ada Olive but to be honest I'm very confused!!!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I've suddenly remembered that she has been mentioned before as Ada Olive but to be honest I'm very confused!!!

I'm losing the will to live  :D

If Charles could become Manton I suppose there's no reason Ada couldn't become Olive ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness I just found this on the 1939 register in Mynyddislwyn, Monmouthshire  :(  :(  Only 6 miles from Bargoed.

Dates of birth are all wrong but....

Charles Young, born 23rd February 1875, Lay evangelist
Olive Young born 2nd October 1881, unpaid domestic duties.

No need to panic yet (I hope!)
There's a marriage in Cardiff, not very far away from there, in 1914
Charles Young  + Olive Dalton

A death in Cardiff, Sep 1951
Olive Young, age 59

Probate for her, she was a widow
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=young&yearOfDeath=1951&page=13#calendar

Phew, I've just HAD to read all that thread [37 pages  :o] - fascinating. Amazing work everyone & inspired find by John.

Glad you enjoyed it, and very nice of you to say so.
So many people chipped in, not least Jen ;D
I guess it is a classic thread, worth repeating!
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her birth, as Dolton?
Dec 1881 Cardiff 11a 262
Dolton, Olive
mother Ettwell

Would be right on the nail for the d-o-b in 1939.

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I was beginning to think that it was going to be a waste of time asking for the 1939 Scottish extract when it appeared that she was in Wales. Having read everything again (it's a bit like a book now) I see that the names Charles and Ada Young were shown on the electoral rolls in 1934 & 1939 in Edinburgh so felt a great sense of relief. Question is, if this is the correct Ada and Charles and the Welsh couple are a red herring where have they been up until 1934? Also would the marriage be in the non-conformist records as he was an evangelist? I'm not to well up on non-conformists.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I was beginning to think that it was going to be a waste of time asking for the 1939 Scottish extract when it appeared that she was in Wales.

Sorry I caused a bit of panic! When I saw Charles Young, evangelist, my reaction was rather extreme  :-[

if this is the correct Ada and Charles and the Welsh couple are a red herring where have they been up until 1934?

I don't believe the Charles/Manton and Ada in Wales in 1901 and 1911 are a red herring. Charles/Manton appears to have been in Wales until the mid-1920's. I can't find any online electoral rolls for Monmouthshire at the time. They could have been there until the 1930's when they appear in Scotland.

Also would the marriage be in the non-conformist records as he was an evangelist? I'm not to well up on non-conformists.

If there had been a marriage in whatever denomination or in a register office it should be in the GRO indexes.

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
You will all be very pleased to know that I received the Scottish 1939 register extract today and I think that you've cracked it! The date of birth given is 4 Jun 1872 which is a year out (should have been 1871) but with the day and month correct I'm sure that this is my great-aunt Ada. As my son said the informant on the death certificate was her husband and he might well have not known or even met her parents therefore the error in the names was understandable. The important point was that her father was a shipwright. The error in the year of birth on the 1939 register could well come down to memory on her part I suppose, but she obviously knew the actual day and month. I must now try to do more research into the marriage of Charles & Ada. I did have a thought that she may well have travelled to America then met and married him over there. Anyway huge, huge thanks to all your efforts in at last discovering her whereabouts. You've all been brilliant.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Excellent news!

John’s reply #20 was the breakthrough moment.

Throw in an unlikely, but unknown, candidate (since not many Ada Moths about)
Death in Scotland in 1947
Ada Moth
age 73
St Andrew (Edinburgh)
ref 685/2 214

Is also indexed as Ada Young.

Thanks for letting us know.