Author Topic: John and Mary WALSH/WELSH  (Read 750 times)

Offline Kay01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John and Mary WALSH/WELSH
« on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Just posted this on the general Ireland page but should have been here, I think.

Help needed - I am trying to trace my great grandparents but can't find anything! John Walsh/Welsh 1856-1912 and his wife Mary 1854-1917. They were both born in Ireland, John was from Avoca and possibly Mary but they moved to England some time before 1891. In England, they lived in Frizington, Cumberland and had 7 children, but only 5 survived according to the Census in 1911. On all the English census (censi?) they give their place of birth as Ireland. Their daughter, Annie Mary, born in 1894 was my grandma.

Other children in the family were John/Jack, dob 1873; Robert, dob 1877; Patrick/Patsy, dob 1881; Henry, dob 1888; Annie Mary, dob 1894, and possibly James, born 1904. I think that the eldest children - John, Robert and Patrick were also possibly born in Avoca, or Wicklow.

John Walsh was an iron ore miner and probably a labourer. Tried tracing grandma, Annie Mary, through Cumbria Archives but they can't find any birth certificate for her, even though I do know she was born there. The family have always called her 'Walsh', as does her marriage certificate but all the Census reports I've seen are 'Welsh'
Dorney/Durney; Croke/Croake; Brach, Welsh/Walsh(Ireland) Sherwen; White (Cumbria & Scotland)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John and Mary WALSH/WELSH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Answered on your other thread now.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk