Author Topic: Strangeways - prison or area?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Re: Strangeways - prison or area?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 December 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Somebody may be able to tell you  much more specifically how to find the prison records in 1871, but I know when I was doing my OH's tree, an ancestor of his was in "Strangeways" - this was in 1901, but it wasn't indexed as that. It came under  "Institution: His Majestys Prison, Southall Street Cheetham".
Just an idea.

Thank you, goldie61, that's really useful 👍🏽
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 December 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I can't see Strangeways Prison in 1871, but there is Cheetham District County Prison For Salford, RG10; Piece: 4064; Folio: 85; Page: 1 which looks like it could be it, as there are 33 pages.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 December 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I've found this prison in 1871 - is it the correct one?

The county prison for the hundred of Salford.  Situated in Cheetham, Manchester.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 December 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I can't see Strangeways Prison in 1871, but there is Cheetham District County Prison For Salford, RG10; Piece: 4064; Folio: 85; Page: 1 which looks like it could be it, as there are 33 pages.

Stan

Must have cross posted, Stan! I think that's the one I've just found.  Off to scrutinise it now!

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 December 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Well I've gone through all 33 pages, and he's not there, so I can discount the prison now.  Back to the drawing board.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 December 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Footo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 December 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Given that he wasn’t from the area he may have just said “Strangeways” rather than Cheetham (Cheetwood) as that would be the most prominent place in the area.

I found his marriage and his wife Mary is staying at Red Bank and she can be found there on 1871 Census. Red Bank is adjacent to Strangeways - if you google Red Bank Manchester and zoom in on google maps you will see it.

Cheetham has 13 enumeration districts including the prison to trawl through  :-[
Meehan - Sligo and Manchester
Currell - Princes Risborough and Manchester
Gee - Congleton, Salford and Manchester
Withers - Hornby, Manchester and Salford
Dodd - Congleton, Salford and Manchester

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 December 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Footo.  I had misread her address on her marriage certificate and thought it said New Bank. I already had her at Red Bank in the 1871 census, but hadn't joined the dots, so thank you for setting me straight  :). Always helps to have a second pair of eyes  ;D. I can see it clearly, now!

I'll do as you suggest regarding the Red Bank area 👍🏼

Offline Footo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 December 18 13:54 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Roberts born Scotland @ 1844 who were joiners in this area in 1871 but none appear to be mistranscribed   :-\  and most can be found later on the 1881 Census

He’s either elsewhere mistranscribed, using an alias, or has been missed out.

I have a 2x Gt grandma who is missing on the 1871 Census (Greengate) with her children I can find her husband lodging elsewhere in Cheshire. I’ve tried every permutation to locate her over the last 15 years and trawled through all the Greengate enumeration districts - I know she was in the area as I have a baptism for one of their children a few months before the census was taken.
Meehan - Sligo and Manchester
Currell - Princes Risborough and Manchester
Gee - Congleton, Salford and Manchester
Withers - Hornby, Manchester and Salford
Dodd - Congleton, Salford and Manchester