Author Topic: how to stop being angry about stolen photos  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
how to stop being angry about stolen photos
« on: Thursday 13 December 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
please

my photos that have been on here or anywhere else to be restored are there for that purpose .... not for someone then to add to their tree without asking..

I would possibly have agreed .. and realise I am stupid to put precious pics out there that I dont want blazened all over the world...

but a please can I wouldnt hurt.

xin..

aaargh

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: how to stop being angry about stolen photos
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 December 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
So are these people related to you, Xin?

Once again I'm afraid, that shows the danger of the internet, once you place anything on there you lose control of it and it becomes public.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 December 18 00:24 GMT (UK) »
They have a tree..... on guess where

and I was just looking into my Great Aunt.. when up pops this pic of her.!!!! it is the only one and it ACTUALLY is not her!!!

it is her Fathers Mother.. but at one time I made the wrong connection to it..  sorry but you know what I mean.. I had her down wrong..
Well because they nicked and didnt ask they added her to the wrong person    :D ;) :D ;) ;D :P :P :P :P

If they had asked I may well have offered.. cos I am not against sharing.. and I KNOW once its out its OUT  but correct name is best idea. 

Not rellies ... they just think they are.. cos I checked and their tree is up the spout wrong... again I could help if they asked.. 

xin  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 December 18 00:26 GMT (UK) »
what a mess I think Ancestry will become .. when people just blatently nick copy and paste any old fred jane or may  in place of searching properly...

oooo  bed time..

i will not sleep again

xin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 December 18 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Xin, why not contact the culprit, explain that you are the person who owns the photo, and you have mistakenly attributed the wrong name to the person in the photo. Oof course don't tell them who the person in the photo really is.)  ;)

Perhaps you could also mention that you would have appreciated being asked if they could use your photo before they took it.

They probably won't care though ....  :(

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 December 18 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Folks, the only way to stop being angry about stolen photos is to not put them on-line in the first place.

One of the most amazing experiences I have had is someone sending me a photo of an ancestor born in the 1780s.  She died in the 1860s and the family was wealthy enough to have a photo taken before she died.

I would never put this photo on my online tree (even though it is out of copyright) because I know it would be copied in an instant as there are two groups of people who have incorporated this ancestor of mine into their own trees quite erroneously. Some of them are adamant she is their ancestor even though I have tried to demonstrate they are wrong.  Imagine what they would do if there was a photo on the internet.

I also have a photo, which I took, of a portrait of someone born in the 1600s. I don't own the portrait (which is in private hands)  but I do own the copyright on the photograph. I would never send a copy of the photo to anyone without making it clear that I own the copyright of the photo and that it should not be put on the internet.

If somebody is willing to put a photograph they have inherited, which is out of copyright, then it is in the public domain, and they really cannot complain if it is copied, (or "stolen").

Venelow
Canada

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 December 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »
As Venelow says, you don’t have any rights to an old photograph taken by somebody else so, if you don’t want somebody to “borrow” it’ don’t put it on line.

I’ve had old photos which I’ve “improved” used by others - they’re not “mine” so they’re welcome to them. Similarly, I’ve had others complain that I’ve “stolen” “their” photographs.

You can only realistically complain if you’ve suffered some sort of loss financially.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I KNOW ----  But I actually had it in ONE place ONLY IT was NOT put on Ancestry BY ME! 

I know I was foolish to add it to any online web page and do not put any blame on any one BUT ME -- foolish old ..... lady..

I would have at least liked it to go to the write lady and not stolen and stuck next to who they think it is..

as said I may well have given a copy...  and I do know about sharing.. etc..

just angry with people who cannot research their own tree with out grabbing things to complete it.
I checked their OPEN online tree and its rubbish.. so.. they have not got any emotional feelings for this lovely precious pic..

subject finished.. temper calm.. I have contacted them  and attempted to advise they have it wrong.  I DOUBT I will hear back.

xin

Another lesson learnt -- but will I remember   ha ha doubt ful

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 December 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Xin, why not contact the culprit, explain that you are the person who owns the photo, and you have mistakenly attributed the wrong name to the person in the photo. Oof course don't tell them who the person in the photo really is.)  ;)

Perhaps you could also mention that you would have appreciated being asked if they could use your photo before they took it.

They probably won't care though ....  :(

They don't happened to me a while back contacted the person and told her my photo's did not belong to any of the family members she had added them to and could she delete them ...I got a very cheeky answer in other words I was to get on with my tree and let her get on with hers ...My own fault for having a public tree...I  made it private and asked her again to delete the pictures and she replied well open up your tree so I can see it  :o :o 

Rosie