Author Topic: Hugh Macdonald alias Captain Macdonald or Captain M'Donald  (Read 1962 times)

Offline caledon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Macdonald alias Captain Macdonald or Captain M'Donald
« on: Friday 14 December 18 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!

It's been such a long time since I began researching this gentleman and he's been one very elusive ancestor. I know that he and his wife had several children in Swansea. Some of the addresses he lived at were Melbourne Place, Somerset Row/Place, Lower Oxford and Little Wind Street. They lived in Swansea from circa 1836 to 1843. I found them on the 1841 Wales Census and have several birth/death certificates. My question is....today, I found a reference to Hugh Macdonald as Captain Macdonald or Captain M'Donald. He was Hugh Macdonald, IV of Boisdale, a member of Clanranald and I have no idea why he was in Swansea (coming from Plymouth and before that Edinburgh). He was never in the military that I know of. His father, Alexander Macdonald, III of Boisdale was a Colonel and was also referred to as Captain. He fought for the British in the American Revolution. But Hugh had no connection that I'm aware of. I've searched Welsh Newspapers online, the Cambrian Index, and all manner of online detective searches...nothing. Are there any sources that I'm not aware of that may shed light on this family? They had to sell their effects 3 times in the span of 7 years so I'm thinking they were pretty shady even though he came from a noble background. Would there be criminal records or quarter session records I could view online?

Sandra

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Macdonald alias Captain Macdonald or Captain M'Donald
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 19 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I believe the link posted was the work of Caledon?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Annie shall I remove?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
"Sorry Annie shall I remove?"

Not at all as these things are of good use to other researchers & I did say 'I believe' this was the work of Caledon simply because I've followed other postings elsewhere (unconnected to this particular query)  ;)

I found a reference to Hugh Macdonald as Captain Macdonald or Captain M'Donald. He was Hugh Macdonald, IV of Boisdale, a member of Clanranald and I have no idea why he was in Swansea (coming from Plymouth and before that Edinburgh). He was never in the military that I know of. His father, Alexander Macdonald, III of Boisdale was a Colonel and was also referred to as Captain.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Can you please post a link to the reference which may help others to help you in your search?

Just a thought...

The 'Captain' reference may have been shipping given the area Plymouth, importing/exporting possibly owning his own vessel?

We met on the westernisles board before Don passed away!

Wishing you luck in your ongoing research  :)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline caledon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:31 GMT (UK) »

Hello again everyone and a special hello to you Annie!

Yes, that link is my genealogy blog called Ties That Bind. I think you may be on to something about the shipping because Hugh lived in South Uist, Scotland, Plymouth, Swansea and finally Liverpool. What's confusing is at no other time in his life did he ever get referred to, or refer to himself, as Captain. I know his father had ships that went from Scotland to York at one time for kelp.

Sandra

Offline caledon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

The link you posted is the one Richview posted.

Sorry if I wasn't clear...

"I found a reference to Hugh Macdonald as Captain Macdonald or Captain M'Donald"

I was wondering about a link to where/when (year) you found the above info. of Hugh being referred to as 'Captain'?

Hopefully the year may be a clue?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I suspect you may have this, was this where you found the reference to 'Captain'?

"* A Daughter of one Captain Hugh M'Donald of Clanranald's Family, who was with the Lady as a Companion at that Time. Many false and idle Stories have been published of her, of which the Inventors ought to be ashamed, since it is now publickly known, that instead of heing the Brilliant Lady she has been represented, she was no other than a simple modest Girl, remarkable only for befriending a Fugitive in his Distress."

Annie