Author Topic: Austin family  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Austin family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 December 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Only the seven as above. Perhaps one elsewhere - will have a look.

David

Well they are a good start  :)

Maybe his possible second wife had one of her own?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas James Austen in Lympne, baptised on 5th August 1837, son of John and Catherine. It could be that Catherine died soon after the birth but it would need the certificates to be certain.

David

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Mary Stokes was the daughter of Henry Stokes a baker. The witnesses were Richard Chamberlain and Mary Ann Luds.

1851 Census - Henry Stokes, born 1787, in Hythe, baker of Church Hill, St Leonard Hythe, Elham, Kent.
Wife Hannah, b 1787 in Hythe.

David

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David.

I can’t find a suitable death for a Mary with those folks in NSW, at the mo.  :(

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 December 18 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Assuming that there is a link to John:-

Mary Stoaks, daughter of Henry and Hannah, baptised in Hythe, St Leonard, on 1st September, 1816.

Probable marriage of Henry Stokes to Hannah Gibbons of Newington at Hythe, St Leonard, on 8th March 1808.

David

Offline HistoriansDaughter

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find out more about the Austens who were living in Burmarsh at the same time as John, in order to trace the family tree higher up.

In 1821, Burmarsh had a population of 94 people and Eastbridge had a population of 18 people, so I think the chances of finding related Austens is higher than searching wider (i.e. Lympne).

On 7 April 1825, Edward Austen, looker, and William Austen, grazier, both of Eastbridge in Burmarsh, were given the license for the Shepherd and Crook alehouse where all the local tithes for Burmarsh were collected.

A William Austen married Charlotte Dean in Appledore on 22 December 1814. I have evidence that this is the sister of Catherine Dean who married John Austen in Appledore in 1822. Therefore William and John are at least brothers-in-law, but likely related by blood too. William and Charlotte had several children in Burmarsh.

I have also found information about a William Austen who was the tenant of a large amount of grazing land in Eastbridge/Burmarsh, along with one John Back, on the property of David Papillon. https://www.myjacobfamily.com/historical%20manuscripts/kentdeeds5.htm

I think that William (and possibly this Edward) was the son of John Austen and Mary Cloke https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/147352377/john-austen

I haven't yet been able to find the connection between this family of Burmarsh Austens and my ancestor John Austen mentioned earlier or his father Edward. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!