Author Topic: mtDNA? (in paper trail terms)  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
mtDNA? (in paper trail terms)
« on: Friday 14 December 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I've traced my maternal line to the mid-1700s but before that it gets very murky; lost in the upper Dee valley and Llyn Tegid, Merionethshire.

Would an mtDNA test tell me anything more that might help me go back further (i.e pointers for paper trail)  or does it just give me my ancient historical roots?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mDNA? (in paper trail terms)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
This is from the FTDNA website (and doesn't sound too useful):

mtDNA testing will not be able to identify specific countries that your maternal ancestors came from. mtDNA mutates slowly which allows you to find out ancient information (such as your haplogroup), and will not help you learn about your more recent (within the past 200-500 years) origins. However, you can use mtDNA results with your personal genealogy research to contact your matches to find out more about where your common ancestors may be from.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mtDNA? (in paper trail terms)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 December 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ruskie  :)

I did a bit of googling and many of the pieces about it are nebulous (new 'in' word). I'm not sure that ancient origins will be any help .  I have quite a few matches that are from that area but I also have other lines from there as well. I'm still doing those the clustering/cross tabs/venn diagrams (Leeds Method) but the matches get a bit mixed so far. I'll just have to do more research/contacting  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: mDNA? (in paper trail terms)
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 December 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, you're not actually allowed to say or use the word nebulous, you just have to mouth it.  You are certainly up-to-date with the prime minister's travels.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 December 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
It's in my DNA, Martin  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 December 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I missed out the 't' so will modify the header  ::)

I see that FTDNA has a special offer ($139) for the full mt, which includes 'More refined results for genealogical purposes'. Is it worth it?  I've not really got any Christmas present wishes at the moment.

mtDNA Full Sequence test will test all three regions providing you with a more refined mtDNA haplogroup and matches list. The Full Sequence test is recommended for those more interested in genealogy and working with a matches list.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 December 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Martin. Thank goodness you've made a quick recovery.

:)

Gadget. Well done for correcting your own mistakes.

:)  :)

Margaret

P.s. I dislike the grammar and spelling police as much as you, Martin, especially  when so many people use mobile phones to send messages. Easy to make a slip with the finger, or have a dodgy auto correct.

M
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 December 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Miss  ;D ;D ;D

PS - In the 1970s-8s, I was a project manager, in charge of 8 programmers - a program mistake could mean a day's lost work, I think Martin comes from that line, However, Logic is the most important attribute.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 December 18 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I have read that the MtDNA test is the least useful. Not sure of the reasons why ...

If you fancy treating yourself or want someone else to treat you to a nice present Gadget, I'm sure you will have fun with the results even if they don't lead you where you hope.

Thinking about it, there are a lot of DNA threads on rootschat and I don't recall reading that anyone has taken an MtDNA test .... I don't know if lack of testers here are a reflection of lack of testers elsewhere in the world, which may mean you have very few matches, especially if your family lines remained in Wales. :-\

Still, I'm sure you would gain something from the test.

Added: Wasn't it MtDNA that connected that American chap to Richard the third? It must have some uses. :)