Author Topic: Looking for Susan Spencer nee Ogilvie and her daughter Barbara  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Susan Spencer nee Ogilvie and her daughter Barbara
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 16 December 18 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Maitland Street is in the Reginal Parish of Barony Glasgow and Amelia was 26

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 16 December 18 02:05 GMT (UK) »
"Amelia living at 117 Maitland Street with her husband Alexander and children Susan and John"

I have searched for 20 mins & cannot find Amelia McNeill (in any form) in 1911 census aged 26 in Barony or her husband, time for sleep I think.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 16 December 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »

At 1902, when 17 year old Amelia SPENCER gives information about herself, I think it is very unlikely that she would give so much detail about Susan SPENCER.......her maiden name..........use of name McFARLANE.

This is more information than needed for the purpose. Would Amelia even know that much information about Susan............and give it for her marriage record?  I think that someone else has given this information....and it sounds like it is from a.........file?.....institutional record?

Who is there when minor Amelia marries?

"...Amelia Spencer 17 Domestic servant (with a signed statement that this is the surname she has had since infancy that being the name of her adopted parents)"

"... Ellen Muir domestic servant deceased adopted by William Spencer tailor and Susan Spencer formally McFarlane MS Ogilvie"

Can you please crop and present the two pieces of the record that show this information.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 16 December 18 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Wivenhoe,

Glad I'm not the only one to wonder as it seemed ott (to me) & not the 'norm' but the way it was presented on this thread I didn't want to question it as it seemed correct although very strange indeed!

I now wonder if any of the Amelias I found on the 1911 census, nowhere near Glasgow are actually her as there are a couple of possibles although not with her marital surname of McNeill (another strange thing) given she married in 1902 :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 16 December 18 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Who is there when minor Amelia marries?

The law in Scotland pre 1929 without parental consent was 12 yrs (male) & 14 yrs (female) now 16 yrs hence the reason many came over the border from south to Gretna Green.

It would still be interesting to know names of witnesses & any extra info. which may help further?

Annie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 16 December 18 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Continuing the bizarreness of this family, and bearing in mind the former surname McFarlane given when Susan died, how about this:

In 1881 a Susan McFarlane, 25, born Edinburgh is living with her husband Myles McFarlane in Edinburgh (not at address mentioned previously though).  They have no children.

I looked for a marriage for them and could only find this:

Miles McFarlane 19, Carter, married Susan Crew, 18, Paper Stainer on 31/12/1872 (last day of year and comes up as 1873 on SP marriage index) at Port Dundas Church, Glasgow.  She is shown as the daughter of a Henry Crew, Private 92nd Foot and Isabella Crew, formerly Johnston .

I'm wondering whether Stewart Ogilvie died very soon after the 1851 census and that his widow Isabella then had daughter Susan ca.1853 by the soldier Henry Crew.   (Can find no marriage between a Henry Crew and Isabella Johnston).

In 1861 Isabella Ogilvie is with 4 children, one being Susan.    In 1871 we now know Isabella was in prison and this could have prompted the move to Glasgow for Susan.   When she marries Miles McFarlane she does so in the name of her natural father and as if her parents were married.

Sometime between 1881 and 1891 the couple split - Miles is still in Glasgow in 1891 but claiming to be unmarried.  Can't find Susan anywhere.   She then decides to marry William Spencer in 1897 and also claims to be unmarried using the name Ogilvie which she'd grown up with, and this time citing her father as Stewart Ogilvie, Isabella's dead husband.

Perhaps these events are all 'red herrings' but a 'Henry' (albeit given as Ogilvie) is shown as her father when she died, plus indicates she was previously married to a McFarlane.   

It's been mentioned that Susan had no children and interesting to note that Miles McFarlane and wife Susan had been married 8 years in 1881 and they had no children!

Thought I'd run this by you anyway.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 16 December 18 03:07 GMT (UK) »
the 1911 census details in Scotland's People is 644/9 29/ 25 in Milton McNeill spelt with 2 l's and below is the marriage of Amelia Spencer

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 16 December 18 03:12 GMT (UK) »
the 1902 wedding is Amelia Spencer to Alexander McNeill (my daughter's paternal 3x gt grandparents)
Date 25 April 1902 at 50 ?hill Road Glasgow
Alexander Brown McNeill 19 Iron foundry labourer
Amelia Spencer 17 Domestic servant (with a signed statement that this is the surname she has had since infancy that being the name of her adopted parents)
Grooms parents John McNeill and Jessie McNeill MS Griffin
Brides Ellen Muir domestic servant deceased adopted by William Spencer tailor and Susan Spencer formally McFarlane MS Ogilvie
Witness Archibald ? and Jeanie ? (have attached below)

And this is the details from that marriage the witness were Archibald Lorne and Jeanie McGuire from reply 14 by Rosinish

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 16 December 18 03:22 GMT (UK) »
I have just noticed I searched for Alexander in 1911 not checking what Scotland's People have transcribed Amelia they have her as Cecilia that will be why you are having trouble finding her