Author Topic: the will of Thomas Lea of Bagworth  (Read 494 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
the will of Thomas Lea of Bagworth
« on: Friday 14 December 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Having kindly had a light shone on will of 1575, it has led to a will of 1545 which is to me even less decipherable. It seems that it is the will of Thomas Lea of Bagworth, but I have no idea what most of it says (wife Phillipa, I think I can make out? -but goodness knows the rest).

Thanks,

Dave :)

(Will in Leics., Leicester and Rutland R.O.)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: the will of Thomas Lea of Bagworth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 December 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
You need to post bigger extracts, Dave.

...Alys my

wyffe & [phylyppe?] Ley my sonne my executors / I desier Thomas Ley my sonne &

John [flechar?] my sonne in Lawe to be sup(er)visors Theys wetnyssys will(ia)m [Colvin?] the

vic(ar) of [Thorntun? / Thorntam?] Thomas Ley of Thorntun Ric(hard) fyscher & John [pykard?]

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: the will of Thomas Lea of Bagworth
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 December 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
You need to post bigger extracts, Dave.

...Alys my

wyffe & [phylyppe?] Ley my sonne my executors / I desier Thomas Ley my sonne &

John [flechar?] my sonne in Lawe to be sup(er)visors Theys wetnyssys will(ia)m [Colvin?] the

vic(ar) of [Thorntun? / Thorntam?] Thomas Ley of Thorntun Ric(hard) fyscher & John [pykard?]

Many thanks horseleydown86. Sorry, I thought it would be a bit cheeky to post too much! However, it seems that the testator could be the father of Philip the writer of the will which you interpreted for me earlier. These wills are sending my research off in a new direction, though the will of Philip Lea of 1575, which I was hoping would prove my missing link, has proved a curate’s egg. I was hoping that John Lea, who turned out to be from Bagworth, would have been from Bosworth, like Philip. Instead, I have a link to a host of other yeoman in adjacent settlements. I’m still pretty sure that Philip was related to “my” John. Philip and the desendants of Philip’s son William farmed in the hamlet of Coton which adjoined the hamlet in which I have a well documented line. Unfortunately the parish registers are too sketchy at this period to provide that direct link.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight