Author Topic: Perring b. abt 1785 mar. (1809) to Edwards b. abt 1789 - the right ancestors?  (Read 746 times)

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
Good afternoon and thank you for any help that can be given.

I am fairly confident that I have the right people when I have access to certificates that I can order, however, I am less confident that I have the right people when tracing pre-1837.  I am looking for words of wisdom from those more experienced than me please!

I have my wife's 4x Great Grandfather, Edward Perring b. abt 1785, married in Ashprington 1809 to Mary Ann Edwards b. abt 1789. 

I have their child, Elizabeth Perring (my wife's 3x Great grandmother), baptised 19 December in Harberton.

I have Elizabeth getting married on 8th January 1836 in St Mary Church to John Matthews (baptised 19 April 1812 in Kingsbridge)

They had my wife's 2x Great grandfather, George abt. 1842 in St Mary Church

What I am now trying to do is to trace the family further back but without guessing.  I do have an Edward Pering baptised on 06 March 1787 in Ashprington to William and Ann.  How do I know if this is the right baptism?  What do I need to do to confirm this?

I also have Mary Ann Edwards baptised 04 January 1789 in Harberton to George and Ann. Again, how do I know if this is the right baptism?  What do I need to do to confirm this?

Ashprington and Harberton are only 4.5 miles apart but Kingsbridge is about 15 miles West.    St Mary Church is also about 15 miles from Harberton but East.

Any help confirming that I have the right people and any advice helping me to go further back with the right people is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nic
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Perring b. abt 1785 mar. (1809) to Edwards b. abt 1789 - the right ancestors?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 December 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
John & Elizabeth Mathews had the following children baptised in St Marychurch (Torquay)

born:-   -   , baptised:-   03 February 1843   ,    George Perrin   MATTHEWS   ,    child of:-   John & Elizabeth   of:-   Babicombe   , fathers occupation:-   stone mason   , notes:-      , Where:-   St Marychurch   

born:-   -   , baptised:-   22 September 1847   ,    John Thomas Perrin   MATTHEWS   ,    child of:-   John & Elizabeth   of:-   Babbicombe   , fathers occupation:-   mason   , notes:-      , Where:-   St Marychurch   

born:-        , baptised:-   1 August 1840   ,    Sarah Ann Perrin   MATTHEWS   ,    child of:-   John & Elizabeth   of:-   Babbicombe   , fathers occupation:-   Builder   , notes:-      , Where:-   St Marychurch

born:-        , baptised:-   23 February 1838   ,    Charlotte   MATTHEWS   ,    child of:-   John & Elizabeth   of:-   Badewell   , fathers occupation:-   Mason   , notes:-      , Where:-   St Marychurch                                       

born:-   -   , baptised:-   22 September 1847   ,    Emma   MATTHEWS   ,    child of:-   John & Elizabeth   of:-   Babbicombe   , fathers occupation:-   mason   , notes:-      , Where:-   St Marychurch      

born:-   -   , baptised:-   20 May 1850   ,    Harriet Selina   MATTHEWS   ,    child of:-   John & Elizabeth   of:-   Babbicombe   , fathers occupation:-   mason   , notes:-      , Where:-   St Marychurch   

POSSIBLY- born:-   -   , baptised:-   13 July 1860   ,    Louisa Matilda   MATTHEWS   ,    child of:-   John & Elizabeth   of:-   Babbicombe   , fathers occupation:-   mason   , notes:-      , Where:-   St Marychurch                                       

1851 census has the family living in Babbicombe (Babbacombe)                              

John   Matthews   Head   Married   Male            40   1811   Mason   Kingsbridge, Devon, 
Elizabeth   Matthews   Wife   Married   Female   36   1815   Laundress   Harbertonford, Devon, 
Charlotte   Matthews   Daughter   -   Female   13   1838   Scholar   St Mary Church, 
Sarah   Matthews   Daughter   -   Female   11   1840   Scholar   St Mary Church, 
George   Matthews   Son   -           Male            9   1842   Scholar   St Mary Church,
Emma   Matthews   Daughter   -   Female   6   1845   Scholar   St Mary Church,
John           Matthews   Son   -              Male   4   1847   Scholar   St Mary Church,
Harriet   Matthews   Daughter   -   Female   1   1850                   St Mary Church

Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
Re: Perring b. abt 1785 mar. (1809) to Edwards b. abt 1789 - the right ancestors?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Terry,

I appreciate your help but maybe I didn't phrase my question properly.  I have the data for post 1837 but I am struggling to confirm if the following pre-1837 people are correct members of the family:

I have my wife's 4x Great Grandfather, Edward Perring b. abt 1785, married in Ashprington 1809 to Mary Ann Edwards b. abt 1789.

I do have an Edward Pering baptised on 06 March 1787 in Ashprington to William and Ann.  How do I know if this is the right baptism?  What do I need to do to confirm this?

I also have Mary Ann Edwards baptised 04 January 1789 in Harberton to George and Ann. Again, how do I know if this is the right baptism?  What do I need to do to confirm this?

Regards,

Nic
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 December 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
One way to try and prove the baptisms you have found is to determine if there are any burials, marriages, census records for any other Edward PER(R)INs born around that time. Unfortunately it is difficult to conclusively prove that someone is 'yours' prior to 1837 unless they have a ridiculously unusual name.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates