Author Topic: Virus on my computer  (Read 929 times)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Virus on my computer
« on: Saturday 15 December 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »

I had Reimage security trying to get me to join up with them, saying my computer had a virus.       I didn't bother.      I think they get you alarmed because they want to scare you into signing up for their security AT A PRICE!

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Virus on my computer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
How would they know?? Another name to watch out for.
Had a 'gentleman' with a very pucker english name call me from Microsoft (based in India?). We have detected a virus on your machine which is causing problems to lots of other users. Me - "I don't have Windows". "Yes you do". "No, I have an Apple computer". "Oh I meant to say Apple". Indian language for PO.
My brother-in-law mischieviously, keeps them going for hours. Reckons that they are only doing their job!
Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Some very bad comments about this company on the web.

As a general rule any message like this should be regarded as a scam. Assuming that they don't just vanish with your money the product that you download will actually be the virus.

The messages may appear because the site that you are visiting has been hacked, they have bought legit advertising and then switched the ad for the scam message or you may actually have some malware on your PC. Do run regular scans using a reputable anti-virus programme and keep your firewall switched on at all times.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Another thing to watch out for is if a domain name, i.e. the website name has expired, and somebody new has bought it, and made it to look slightly similar to the old website but with malicious links on it.

Martin