Author Topic: Looking for ancestors of Arthur CROLL of Aberdeen  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ancestors of Arthur CROLL of Aberdeen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
1881 census 685/1 112/ 11 St George Midlothian:

CROAL
Cecelia 59
John 24
Annie 21
Maggie 16

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 December 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
1891 census 685/2 129/ 13 St Andrew Midlothian

CROALL
James F 69
Cec 70

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 December 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Daughter of James and Cecelia:

Marriage: CROALL Cecelia B to CLARK Walter 1877 685/1 25 St George

Jamjar

Offline Neil Croll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of the above, and I'll try to pick up a couple of the points raised. My date for Arthur's birth is the latest I believe it could have been, so thank you for suggesting more likely alternatives. The change in spelling of the family name occurred because James had a brass plate made for his business and it was mis-spelled. Rather than change the name plate he changed the family name. Ruth and Jamjar, would you be able to give me the sources for your information please?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
All the information comes ultimately from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, though some of it can be found indexed or transcribed on assorted other web sites.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
The census listing I quoted for the 1841 census in Marykirk comes from the transcriptions compiled by FreeCen https://www.freecen.org.uk - the remaining information comes from indices and transcriptions published by Ancestry.

But, as Forfarian rightly suggests, you would be advised to confirm everything with the original source documents, which are available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 December 18 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of the above, and I'll try to pick up a couple of the points raised. My date for Arthur's birth is the latest I believe it could have been, so thank you for suggesting more likely alternatives. The change in spelling of the family name occurred because James had a brass plate made for his business and it was mis-spelled. Rather than change the name plate he changed the family name. Ruth and Jamjar, would you be able to give me the sources for your information please?

That must have been one expensive brass plague!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Neil Croll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 April 23 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to everybody who has posted answers. I think Arthur's descendents have been worked out and I've loaded them all into WikiTree.