Author Topic: Extra Smith girl!  (Read 2120 times)

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Extra Smith girl!
« on: Sunday 16 December 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks - I am now totally confused! 

Can someone help my poor muddled brain!  I have an extra child for whom I have no birth or rather baptism for or any trace of early on. 

Mary Ross married Thomas Smith in Nairn in 1841 and there followed 11 children so I thought!  It is of course as hard to look for Smiths in Scotland as Frasers in Inverness!

I bought the birth record of Mary Smith  b1855 - this shows this is her 7th child with 3 boys and 3 girls living. All those 6 baptisms are seen in SP 18 42-55.

However I have a Marjory who married a William Smith in 1874 - her wedding cert shows her parents are Thomas Smith and Mary Ross and was married from the home in Rose St Nairn.

In 1851 Census the parents have only the sons at home and 2 the two eldest girls with grandparents in a house further down Rose Street the third girl (per Mary's registration) is born in 1853. 

So where did Marjory appear from?  I cannot locate her in any census until 1881 - where she states she was born in Nairn now aged 38.   No death cert located yet. 

Any ideas anyone?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Smith girl!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Smith and Mary Ross had a daughter May born and baptised in 1842. The names May and Marjory are used interchangeably, so May is your mystery Marjory.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
ahhh - I had thought it was another name for Margaret and I have her line but May is blank.  Strange to make a short name long but it seems to fit.  Thank you!

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 December 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I think the reason this must have been discounted in the past,  is the ages given on the census and wedding - all are out, gives 5 years younger at her wedding and 9 years in the 1901.   

I shall check the census at the archives as its only the transcriptions I have.  Still to locate death I am sure its May as you say. Without the 1855 certificate to corroborate the facts it was easy to have added an extra child!