Author Topic: Welsh/Brach family  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Kay01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh/Brach family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all your responses, they really have been helpful. I have now sent off for my granny's birth certificate and will let you know what I find.

I started my search all over again and have definitely got Annie Mary, before marriage, in two census as a child - its interesting that 1891 census says all the children present (John, Robert, Patrick, James and Henry were born in England (which isn't true). Both parents - John and Mary Welsh were born in Ireland.

The 1901 census has three children present - Patrick, Henry and Annie. It says only Patrick (and parents) were born in Ireland; Annie Mary and Henry born Frizington.

1911 Census lists parents as being born in Wicklow, and living in Frizington. Only Henry and Annie are present (both born Frizington) and there is a grandchild, John.

There is another 1911 Census for John and Mary's son John and his family, in Frizington. This son John, aged 37, is married to Jane Burns and lists his birthplace as Vale of Avoca.

Family memory, with no documentation, says at least son John (born 1873) and Patrick (born 1881) were born in Ireland. Robert (born 1877) must also have been born in Ireland. One member of the family recalls that John, the eldest, came to England with his parents, aged 16, to work in the mines in Cumberland. This gives a travel date of 1889.
Other family memories -  Patrick owned a tobacco shop in Egremont. The pits that father John and his sons worked at were Margaret Pit, Frizington, Tin Pit at Cleator and Florence Mine at Egremont. Robert, nickname 'Devil', is believed to have gone to America.

From here, I am waiting for Annie Mary's birth certificate to arrive which might clear up her maiden name - Brach or Roach. I think, as Heywood suggested, that the two names might be the same but muddled up. And I'm starting to look at each of the brothers and sisters to see if there is more information from them.

Thanks again Rootschat! Hope the information above helps anyone else searching for their family.
Dorney/Durney; Croke/Croake; Brach, Welsh/Walsh(Ireland) Sherwen; White (Cumbria & Scotland)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Reply #3 on other thread had the birth registrations for James, John & Robert all born in Ireland-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805056.0

If son Robert went to America then you'll probably find information on LDS site since you have an exact date of birth-
https://www.familysearch.org/search/hr/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kay01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 December 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Received granny Annie Mary Welsh birth cert today and can see why her mother's maiden name is confusing. You can read it as Brach or Roach! I think it's probably Roach though.
Tried to attach a copy but it says the file is too large.

The last 3 letters are 'ach'. 1st two could be Br or Ro.

I'll see if I can condense image when I get back on pc
Dorney/Durney; Croke/Croake; Brach, Welsh/Walsh(Ireland) Sherwen; White (Cumbria & Scotland)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 December 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Sounds good  :)

When you look at one of the Irish ones posted, you can see there where it could be mistaken too. Whilst we perhaps wouldn’t think it - it depends on the original writing.

Happy Christmas.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Since the birth registrations of the 3 sons born in Ireland had mother's name as Roach then it's more than likely that is the correct surname (although when searching keep in mind variations such as Roche, etc.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!